Another paranoid kiddie

Started by BomberDoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

i'll be applying same year as you, and quite frankly i hope we don't want the same spots. i think your clinical experience will be looked upon favorably, and the whole military service aspect is only going to help. we'll see what some of the more senior posters say, but i'm guessing you won't struggle to match into a solid path residency.

ps - thanks for serving in the military
 
ps - thanks for serving in the military

👍 Absolutely. If I were a PD, you would get special consideration due to your service alone. You WILL match, and I'm guessing at a really good program. Just to make sure, you didnt apply this cyle right? I would hate to be up against you. 😉

Thanks for serving, and may you get the programs of your choice! (That is to say - next cycle 😀 )

E-Mo
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your Hx after undergrad does not scream academics, so it might be difficult to play that card.

Good luck.
 
After the internship did you do any other residency training or was that entirely service based? The only reason I mention is that people will probably ask why you are switching fields. If that doesn't apply, then don't worry at all.
 
I'm posting because I happen to be one of those people who wants to alleviate stupid fears about not matching into a residency. I have a strong sense of self, so feel free to tell it how it is.

I am currently serving a 4 year hitch in the military as a flight surgeon. I'm due to get out in 2008 and am 99.9% sure I will be applying for Pathology. I graduated top third of my med school class from a lower half school (no Ivy League pedigree here). Passed USMLE Steps 1, 2, & 3 with average scores. Did research and published in undergrad, but nothing since then. Continue to be interested in research and would like to get back into it during residency. Did a lot of teaching/tutoring in med school and am considering going into academics.

I'm mainly curious how you think I would stack up next to a current med student applying for the same positions. Will the break in my education hurt or possibly help me? I will have done 5 years of clinical medicine (internship + 4 yrs in the service) before getting back to residency. I've got tons of war stories and can play the patriotic card during interviews.

Honestly I don't think matching will be a problem, but I'm just indulging in a little paranoia here.

Why are you posting in pathology forum? With your background I would steer you towards something more like ophtho or gsurg.
 
ophthalmology is interesting, but not that interesting. It is too limiting to focus on just one system.

gen surg? Not only no, but HELL no. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Operating is fun, but the lifestyle sucks and the colleagues suck and the patients are just getting older and sicker as medical therapy improves. I'm glad somebody wants to do it because I certainly don't.

eye surgery is the best lifestyle vs. return residencies out their for those with interests in surgery. Mohs would be a close second.
 
I hear you Bomberdoc. Luckily, I'm in the army and admin has (so far) been smart enough to realize that residency trained docs do a lot more for soldiers than gmo's thrown into the fire. Plus, the path program at SAUSHEC does not carry the greatest of reputations.

As far as your service as a gmo goes, I think it is a huge plus. The number one question I'm getting from PD's as I interview is how I know path is for me and how I know I am not more suited for a clinical specialty. I only wish I had your experience and could tell the PD's, "been there, done that and I KNOW clinical med is not for me."

Good luck on your search next year. And sorry for the shameless plug, but I think my home institution (St. Louis U) provides great training and is less competitive than some of the big timers.

hooah
 
I do think your clinical experience would be considered a huge plus. Plenty of people arrive in path after experience in other specialites and it's viewed as a positive thing - more perspective, experience, knowledge base, ability to connect with clinicians. I'm not so sure about the "patriotic card" but overall yes I would think most people would respect you for having undergone some pretty rigorous experiences. You would likely do just fine in the match.

However your CV as you describe it does not scream academics/research. (This is not a bad thing.) I'm sure your interest is genuine, but the more hardline PDs/chairs who really try to recruit academicians would not be convinced, with your not having a PhD, not doing research as a med student, etc. Few people take up serious research for the first time in residency. Residency is pretty busy and even people who have done serious research in the past find their time, energy & interest waning. As for your interest in teaching, I think that's great, and maybe some PDs would too, but keep in mind that teaching is extremely undervalued in big research-oriented academic centers, and might not be a huge selling point in your application...sad, but I've found it to be true. Although again this might depend on how hardline the place is about bringing in research $.

Anyway, I don't think you would really need to work the academics angle too much in your application - you've got plenty of other strengths.