Another PDA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HorseyVet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
<I did do a search first>

Well, is anyone planning on buying or already has bought a PDA for their first year? My understanding is that they are the most useful during clinicals, but there's obviously a lot of other uses. I was thinking of getting one for several reasons (cough-organization-cough), but since the technology (and probably PDA text editions) changes so quickly I'm relcutant...

Ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

HorseyVet said:
Well, is anyone planning on buying or already has bought a PDA for their first year?

I'm not gonna. 1: I already have a cell phone and an iPod, and have a hard enough time trying to keep up with them as it is. The last thing I need is another hundreds-of-dollars gadget to lose! 2: My mom has one, and it really seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm fanatical about my planner and making to-do lists and such, but I'd much prefer the pencil-and-paper kind.

Now... if I can find a PDA that will make me dinner and clean the house, then I might be convinced. :rolleyes:

eaglemeag said:
I'm not gonna. 1: I already have a cell phone and an iPod, and have a hard enough time trying to keep up with them as it is. The last thing I need is another hundreds-of-dollars gadget to lose! 2: My mom has one, and it really seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm fanatical about my planner and making to-do lists and such, but I'd much prefer the pencil-and-paper kind.

Now... if I can find a PDA that will make me dinner and clean the house, then I might be convinced. :rolleyes:

Yeah me too. I even had a PDA a number of years ago but it was too much trouble. I think I spent more time playing Diamond Mine on it than anything. :D Oh and before I got it a memory card, if I didn't put it on the charger every 10 days everything in the memory was erased--schedule, a log of my timesheet at work, games, everything.

The word I got was that people kept merck, a formulary, and 5-min consult (or something like that) on it and "everyone had it." I am going to (try to) wait until 3rd year or maybe 4th. My first priority is a digital camera, and I am happy that I have waited a few years and the prices, sizes and quality are improving. (I have a camera for other uses, but it is a 35mm SLR. Nice pics, but a bit big for my pocket.) If I find myself wanting one frequently first year, I may bite the bullet, otherwise I am going to wait on that as well.

are_jay said:
If I find myself wanting one frequently first year, I may bite the bullet, otherwise I am going to wait on that as well.

My mom was all, "I think I'm going to figure out my budget so that I can get you one [a PDA]." I'm like, "Hey, let's worry about making sure I can cover rent first!" :laugh: I can think of a lot of other toys I'd rather have than a PDA... but if I get desperate for one I'm sure my mother would generously donate some of her resources to get me one (which is very nice of her)... but until then I'm happy to do without!