Another Personal Statement Question..for non-trads.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Msmouth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your opinion on including the fact that I'm married with kids in my personal statement?

I wrote my PS 2 years ago, it had so many details about my life and journey to this decision. I very recently found out that I had to cut it down to a 1/3 of its actual length and I actually like it more. It's right to the point. The only thing is I cut out the part about my marriage and kids.

I feel the PS as it stands now is very strong and well written. Something is telling me not to mess with it. I know they'll probably find out at the interview that I'm a mother.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your opinion on including the fact that I'm married with kids in my personal statement?

I wrote my PS 2 years ago, it had so many details about my life and journey to this decision. I very recently found out that I had to cut it down to a 1/3 of its actual length and I actually like it more. It's right to the point. The only thing is I cut out the part about my marriage and kids.

I feel the PS as it stands now is very strong and well written. Something is telling me not to mess with it. I know they'll probably find out at the interview that I'm a mother.

If you took science courses, the DAT or were involved in other academic affairs after your delivery then yes I would include that as it would add some value to the application.

You may want to mention it in a sentence or two. I am a mother of three children myself, and my oldest is 5, youngest is almost 2. I think it may actually grant you an extra interview, if somebody in adcom is a mother, and probably will realize that it is not an easy job to raise children, and at the same time prepare for the exam and ultimately do well...It shows a lot of dedication.

IMO u need more than I'm happy with a wife and kids! With respect relate it to dentistry