Another pointless thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Montserrat

Proud of my Pats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A friend of mine and I got into a not so heated argument about how much money we would need annually from student loans/personal funds to live comfortably (rent/mortgage, car insurance, health insurance, books, food and etc.)

Considering that I can pack all of my worldly possessions into my Ford F100, my cost of living is probably ~8000 a year if I compact things.

Not sure if this is on the high side or low side for most people living with no frills. What could you live comfortably off of ?
 
8,000 is pretty low in my opinion. Where are you living? By yourself? Your rent must be cheap.
 
(w/ tuition, rent/mortgage, car insurance, health insurance, books, food and etc.)

I assume you meant to add, assuming these things are already taken care of. Otherwise I'd like to know where you're renting! Not to mention getting car/health insurance.

During undergrad I spent 5000ish each school year on spending money (gas, cell phone, netflix during senior year, fast food, booze, movies, etc). If anything I imagine those kinds of expenses would go down in Dschool.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I calculated that to live relatively comfortably I would need approx. $20,000/year. (this includes rent at about 7-800/mo)

$8000 seems extremely low to me.
 
Typo on my part as well. All the expenses aside from tuition and school related stuff like a laptop, book, and lab fees.

As far as rent, I'm living in the middle of nowhere in a converted chicken coop with two roommates 😀. Commute to the city for work, and placing quite a bit of money in savings. Calculated out, I probably made about 15.5x what I spent over the past few months.
 
That's a pretty nice chicken coop to have internet access all ready to be wired in :laugh:

Congrats on the savings, now I see where the discipline to get those DAT scores comes from 👍
 
It also depends on where you go. But in general I think 8000 is doable.

During undergrad I was living on a 700/month budget. I had a share room so rent was only around 250 per month. Adding utilities and what not and the total cost went up to around 320 per month. I didnt have a car so I basically didnt need to spend any money on gas.