Technology Another Q For Apple Users

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katatonic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, the Hard Drive question is taken care of...now for a whole slew of new problems!

1) I'm currently running Tiger and am wondering if I should upgrade to Leopard. Pros/Cons?

2) I also (due to an HD wipe last year) lost my iLife apps like iPhoto and Garageband (the only one I care about). I'm trying to get back into my music recording so I want to get a program for it from Apple. The main question is, what's the difference between Logic Express 8 ($200) and Logic Studio ($500)? The main thing I need is the ability to program my own drum track to play what I want (since I don't have a drum set) and...well that's about it, because I have the guitar equipment.

3) Also, how the heck to you set up an external microphone to record from? Sorry for all the questions!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Would wait for Snow Leopard to come out. It's rumored to be releasing first quarter of '09. At this point it would be foolish to upgrade to Leopard since Snow Leopard is right around the corner. Snow Leopard won't offer much in the way of new features, but is reportedly supposed to significantly increase speed (through sharing tasks over multiple processors), stability, security, etc.

2. Will defer to someone with more experience on that one. Don't deal with Logic.

3. There is a line in jack for most computers. Don't think this is available on the MacBook, but may be on the MacBook Pro. Would look at Apple's website for the specific model computer you are using. Most Macs do have built-in microphones as part of iSight, but if you're wanting very high quality recordings, then you'll need an external microphone. The built-in mic is great for video chatting and regular recordings.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Would wait for Snow Leopard to come out. It's rumored to be releasing first quarter of '09. At this point it would be foolish to upgrade to Leopard since Snow Leopard is right around the corner. Snow Leopard won't offer much in the way of new features, but is reportedly supposed to significantly increase speed (through sharing tasks over multiple processors), stability, security, etc.

2. Will defer to someone with more experience on that one. Don't deal with Logic.

3. There is a line in jack for most computers. Don't think this is available on the MacBook, but may be on the MacBook Pro. Would look at Apple's website for the specific model computer you are using. Most Macs do have built-in microphones as part of iSight, but if you're wanting very high quality recordings, then you'll need an external microphone. The built-in mic is great for video chatting and regular recordings.

Thanks! I was worried about a new one coming out soon, so I'll definitely just wait for the new version, hopefully out in 2009 sometime.

Thanks! I was worried about a new one coming out soon, so I'll definitely just wait for the new version, hopefully out in 2009 sometime.
A word of caution: Snow Leopard will only work on Intel processors if I remember correctly. So if you own a G5 you're out of luck.

My MB has a line-in jack. I have one from over a year ago. The new ones have one, too.

OP, aren't you on an iBook? I think you only have the built-in mic on the upper right corner of the monitor.

Is there a difference between a headphone jack and an audio line out jack?

I think there's a difference yes. Also, yes I'm on an iBook G4 so I only have the tiny mic on the upper right corner of my monitor. I'd like to start recording from a real microphone though to sound better. I still don't know if you can create your own drum tracks with these programs though? That's my biggest hang up, or else I'd just be recording guitars=(

A line out is usually pure digital and audio controls do not affect it (you need a separate receiver/controller). Like an optical out from an AV receiver.

Oh gotcha! So like for when I hook my MB up to my HDTV but have to listen to audio in stereo as opposed to 5.1? Damn I wish I had a better audio output!

I think there's a difference yes. Also, yes I'm on an iBook G4 so I only have the tiny mic on the upper right corner of my monitor. I'd like to start recording from a real microphone though to sound better. I still don't know if you can create your own drum tracks with these programs though? That's my biggest hang up, or else I'd just be recording guitars=(

Yeah but how? You have no mic jack.

Yeah no Snow Leopard for your G4. By the way, there never was a G5 Apple notebook.

I'd say hold off on buying Leopard as it won't help you that much. What I would say is that you take a look at your disk 2 you got with your computer and reinstall the apps you want.

I would suggest you buy an external drive to make things quicker with the large files you'll be making plus peace of mind to back things up.

Yeah no Snow Leopard for your G4. By the way, there never was a G5 Apple notebook.

Right. When I posted the G5 comment, I did not know whether the OP was using a desktop or notebook.

There were some G5 notebook prototypes that were rumored. Supposedly the things got so hot that you could keep your coffee warm on them.

Right. When I posted the G5 comment, I did not know whether the OP was using a desktop or notebook.

There were some G5 notebook prototypes that were rumored. Supposedly the things got so hot that you could keep your coffee warm on them.

You never know. It could still come out as the long-rumored G5 notebook. ;)