Another question about short-tracking

Started by fantasty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fantasty

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Among the residencies that short track, or have a committed training pathway (PSTP, etc), do you have much lattitude in changing specialties? I realize that normally residents may not have much time to explore the subspecialties before they have to start worrying about the application process for fellowships during PGY-2. Does this hold true for short-tracking residents as well?

I don't have to worry about this for awhile, but I'm mostly interested in two specialties, although general IM also seems like a possibility. For now, I'm leaning towards one of the specialties, but this is (and probably will be) based on limited information. Even if I do an elective during M4, and try to get some exposure early in residency to my two areas of interest, when do most programs want to know what fellowship you'd like? What happens if you change your mind later?

I figure this might be a good thing to hash out when interviewing, but I was wondering if any of the more experienced folks had any insight on program norms.
 
Among the residencies that short track, or have a committed training pathway (PSTP, etc), do you have much lattitude in changing specialties? I realize that normally residents may not have much time to explore the subspecialties before they have to start worrying about the application process for fellowships during PGY-2. Does this hold true for short-tracking residents as well?

I don't have to worry about this for awhile, but I'm mostly interested in two specialties, although general IM also seems like a possibility. For now, I'm leaning towards one of the specialties, but this is (and probably will be) based on limited information. Even if I do an elective during M4, and try to get some exposure early in residency to my two areas of interest, when do most programs want to know what fellowship you'd like? What happens if you change your mind later?

I figure this might be a good thing to hash out when interviewing, but I was wondering if any of the more experienced folks had any insight on program norms.

You know... before the interview process... I used to think that you should mention your fellowship plans in the personal statement.. now I am dead convinced that you should NOT mention them unless you are making a specific personal statement to a place where the fellowship is an important decision for their residents and if you are competitive enough for it.