Another question on shadowing for OD students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phillygirl98

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I just graduated from college and am applying to opt schools this summer/fall for fall 2005. I have shadowed my optometrist a couple of times but I don't know if this is enough/how much shadowing I should do. I have been advised to shadow more but others have told me that it's not a big deal if i haven't shadowed a lot. My optometrist thinks that the couple times I went in to see her were fine. It's hard to get in with other opts to shadow them. Did any of you shadow at different types of practices..like commercial and private? My first choice is PCO so I dont know if they stress that or not when looking at applications. Thanks for your comments and suggestions! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at PCO, and I think your amount of experience would be fine. You might want to visit another type of practice (or two), just to get an idea of what's out there, though. (You might want to try going along with a friend or family member to one of their appointments -- it gives you a good excuse to visit a practice just long enough to check it out without it being a big deal.)

I would advise you to shadow several ODs in many different settings just make sure this is for you. Never mind wether yo need it to get in, you need it to make an educated choice that will shape the rest of you life.

I was not sure if I wanted to be an OD or a MD or a OD. The OD experience I had covered because my dad is an OD, but to take care of the MD or DO thing I had to do a little more work. So for 2 years in undergrad I did research at an osteopathic medical school and probed the minds of the faculty and students, and for one summer I worked for a MD orthopeadic surgeon. I was not going to go to any school with only reading about the profession.

So basically...DO MORE SHADOWING!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
do a variety. i did optometry clinical, optometry commercial, and opthalmology clinical. just cover your grounds.

KaBlamO said:
do a variety. i did optometry clinical, optometry commercial, and opthalmology clinical. just cover your grounds.

I agree with the above.
make sure you've seen optometrists work in as much settings as possible.
If you do that, you'd be able to compare and contrast things and make better decisions....