Another quick LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful6891

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So, I'm in the process of asking professors for letters of rec for the upcoming med school app cycle.
I took a bio-related class in the autumn which was team taught by two prof's: 1 MD/PhD, 1 PhD. They both know me about to the same degree. This seems to be a bit of superficial question, but would there be a benefit of MD/PhD over the PhD? They both are affiliated with the med school, so it's not like the PhD would not be familiar with med school-ish type things...

just curious as to what you think..
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In the academic sense, the MD/PhD's johnson is bigger (unless the other guy is famous), so get it from him, unless the other guy is more friendly. Also, the less busy man will probably have more time to write the letter and not use a template...

I'd go with the better speaker, cause he's probably also a better writer...

I think the content/style of the letter matters much more than the letter writer's credentials..

Hi guys,
So, I'm in the process of asking professors for letters of rec for the upcoming med school app cycle.
I took a bio-related class in the autumn which was team taught by two prof's: 1 MD/PhD, 1 PhD. They both know me about to the same degree. This seems to be a bit of superficial question, but would there be a benefit of MD/PhD over the PhD? They both are affiliated with the med school, so it's not like the PhD would not be familiar with med school-ish type things...

just curious as to what you think..
thanks!

Ask them if they are willing to write you a VERY STRONG REC for med school. Afterwards, go with your gut instinct