Step II Another step 2 CS freakout

Started by discerdude
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

discerdude

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I know there are already an infinite number of these types of posts on SDN, but I can't help myself. It's been 2 weeks since I took CS and I'm freaking out still. I don't want to get into trouble by giving too much away, so here are the very basics:

1. I did horrible PEs. Very short. Very abbreviated. I listened to heart and lungs on almost every patient, and then just a few maneuvers related to the CC. That's seriously it. My neuro exams (when required) were pretty crappy--incomplete and poorly executed. My MSK exams (when required) were almost non-existent (just "inspection" and palpation really). There was just no time...IDK maybe I have horrible time management skills. I left out at least one required PE maneuver or entire system that might have been required for at least 3 or 4 cases.

2. On almost every case I forgot to ask AT LEAST one relevant hx question related to the CC. On a few cases these were MAJOR omissions...really important things I should have asked and didn't.

3. Differentials on at least 2 cases were bad/completely wrong. The rest were ok but not perfect. Probably spelled a lot of things wrong too.

4. 2 cases I just had no idea what was going on with the patient at all. AT ALL!

I always washed my hands...except one case I forgot and did it during the exam. I always asked HPI, FH, SH, PMH, PSH, Allergies, meds.
I counselled on every case, which I think went OK. Got cut off counselling a few times. I always shook hands, smiled, was nice, said I'm sorry, asked how this is affecting your life, said that must be difficult...blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, my biggest concern is the ICE portion, especially the PE. Anyone else have trouble with this? Anyone have downright terrible PEs and still pass?

Sorry and thank you.

Edit: I swear I will let you all know my results. Should get them in Dec.

EDIT #2: I PASSED. For those of you who are reading this and worrying about your performance on this exam, I hope this gives you some reassurance. I thought I did terrible on ICE and OK on CIS...turns out both were above the borderline area, but ICE was MUCH higher than CIS (with CIS almost touching the borderline area). I'd suggest (as many others before me have suggested) to stay off SDN when worrying about things like this. It has been said before in other threads, but I want to reiterate: people are horrible at judging how they did on this exam (I think the same goes for the other steps, but this is ESPECIALLY true for CS).

Also, I just want to point out something that worried me quite a bit while reading SDN obsessively over the past 2 months-

I know I'm at risk here for sounding like a complete jerk and someone who, now that they passed, can get up on their high horse and try to critique those who failed. I really don't want to come off that way (even though I probably will). I just need to get this off my chest a little bit.

First-- I know I could have had a really bad day and easily failed this exam. Failing this exam happens all the time, and it sucks cause this exam is stupid. I don't want to criticize people who failed this exam in general. It's a certain kind of post on SDN and other sites that I want to lightly criticize here.

It's this kind of thing: "I asked all of the relevant HPI questions" "I knew every diagnosis" "I thought the test was really easy"

Reading these posts really freaked me out for the past few months because 2 scenarios went through my head depending on whether this person passed or failed:
#1: if this person passed, I definitely DID NOT know every diagnosis/think the test was easy. OMG I MUST HAVE FAILED.
#2: if this person failed...HOW DID THEY FAIL?...THIS MEANS I DEFINITELY FAILED...AHHHH!

Going through these two scenarios is a lose-lose situation. You think you're gonna fail no matter what. Not very reassuring. Then I thought about this a little more.

"It was obvious what the patient had. I thought all of the diagnoses were really easy" --I'm sorry, but REALLY? I'm not saying I know how this test works, but my guess is that the patients do not have one specific diagnosis that you're supposed to "get". MY GUESS is that the patients are supposed to have somewhat vague symptoms with a MOST LIKELY diagnosis, but not just one specific diagnosis. That's because this test isn't just about getting the diagnosis right. In fact, I think that's a pretty minor part of it (especially given the fact that I likely missed the most likely diagnosis of 3-4 patients). I think you can get into big trouble on this exam by--for example--assuming your patient has GERD and not considering that they could be having an MI or angina (and therefore, not asking about cardiac symptoms at all). If you thought you "nailed" the diagnoses, 12/12, you might be making this mistake repeatedly.

Think of a clinician mentor that you have. Some rockstar resident or faculty that you know. Think of the best family medicine doctor you can think of, and then imagine them taking this test. Imagine them seeing a 12 patients with 20 mins for the hx and PE and then writing a note in 10 mins. Did they do everything perfectly???...NO FREAKIN' WAY. Even with "straightforward CCs." That's why it bothers me a little bit when people think "ACED" this exam. What 4th year medical student walks out of this kind of test feeling like they did perfectly or "nailed all 12 diagnoses" or "asked all relevant HPI questions"???

Bottom line is this: It's NORMAL/EXPECTED to feel like you did horrible on this exam. I think it's unusual/suspicious when people say they feel like they did really well on it, or especially when people say things like "I got 11/12 or all the diagnoses/asked all relevant HPI questions" (I mean, how would you even know that??)

TL;DR: People are pretty bad at judging how they did on this exam. If you are really worried, I think you probably have better self-awareness than someone who thought they aced it. You probably passed. Try to stop worrying (I know, it's really hard!!! I should speak for myself). Stay off SDN if you can!!!
 
Last edited:
Also...

I put CN II-XII intact but I did not actually do a hearing test (I guess the patient was responding to my questions...but I don't know if that counts...)

AND when I checked reflexes on one patient I must not have been doing them right because the patient had little or no response. I was in a hurry in the note so I just put "reflexes 2+ bilaterally"...now I realize that maybe I should have said "reflexes diminished" instead....even though I think that's just because it was me doing it wrong.

Will these count as misdocumentation? I feel like that's a great way to fail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't worry too much about PE. I did a very basic one on every patient and even forgot to do a neurological exam when it was warranted. I also forgot to wash or sanitize my hands at 3 or 4 stations though I always do it excessively in real encounters and messed up differential diagnosis at least twice. I felt really horrible after the exam, but I still passed.
 
AMG here. I got an e-mail from nbme at 10:50am and my score report was up by 11am.

Edit: For future students reading this... I feel like I made a ton of mistakes/forgot to ask a bunch of important questions during my patient encounters. Also, my physical exams were rushed and not very thorough (I'm pretty sure I forgot to listen to heart and lungs underneath the gown for a couple of people). I ended up passing every sub-component very comfortably.

Moral of the story: I know it's hard, but try to relax! You've put in the work, now trust your training. I did my share of freaking out, but try your best to remember that the overwhelming majority of people do just fine! People tend to psych themselves out and focus on their perceived mistakes in retrospect. Try to take a deep breath!
 
Last edited:
Update: I passed!!!! I have no idea how. I have no idea what it takes to fail this thing.

See edit. I hope nobody is offended by what I wrote up there, I just really want to point out something that I learned during my time obsessively reading threads online regarding CS (which I would not recommend). I think what I address in the edit is one of the big reasons I really started freaking out over the past two months while waiting for my score, and it might help others who are worrying...
 
Update: I passed!!!! I have no idea how. I have no idea what it takes to fail this thing.

See edit. I hope nobody is offended by what I wrote up there, I just really want to point out something that I learned during my time obsessively reading threads online regarding CS (which I would not recommend). I think what I address in the edit is one of the big reasons I really started freaking out over the past two months while waiting for my score, and it might help others who are worrying...

Dont people usually fail on the CIS? how were your scores? were they close to borderline for cis?

anyway, congrats on passing!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, AMG here. I just got my CS result back today. I don't think I need to start another thread since these things are all kinda repetitive but I just wanted to share a few thoughts here too.

I walked into CS super nervous because I actually failed the final OSCE that our med school gave and had to do a lot of remediation and whatever. It's funny because I apparently don't know how to talk to standardized patients while my MSPE is full of excellent clinical comments. I just find it really challenging to "cover all your bases" in an artificial 15 min encounter. Anyways, the 2 months of remediation (which I actually didn't do that well on either until the very end) combined with rumors of more people failing in recent years made me super anxious for the score release.

I felt like I personally suck at speaking to standardized patients, so here are some of my thought having taken this test as a "weaker" student:

1. CS is certainly not "simple" - I don't think it's the "English speaking test" that people talk about in the past. I highly recommend that you spend at least a week (two I think would be optimal) seriously reviewing for the exam (at least 3-4 hours a day, mixture of reading and practicing with friends).
2. Develop a template and stick to it. I know there are a few mnemonics floating around (PAMHUGSFOSS). I personally did CC, HPI (OPQRST for pain, and then an adapted OPQRST for other complaints), ROS/associated sx (always f/c/n/v/d/dysuria/sob/cp), PMH/PSH, Meds/Allergies, FH, SH (job/partner/kids/sex/etoh/cigs/drug), ob/gyn for every single patient. One of the things I learned is that you certainly need to have a system down for a 15 minute encounter. Otherwise, you will be forgetting things here and there and you will just work yourself up during the exam day as you figure out things that you missed.
3. Develop a sequence of what you did in the room and stick to it. I always said good morning, shook hands, introduced myself, asked the patient what he/she wants to be addressed, "what brings you in," history, washed hands, physical, "so there's a few things that i'm thinking of...", "to help me figure out what's going on i'd like to...", "do you have any questions?", "i'll be in touch when we have the results and we will sit down to discuss," shake hands, leave. This also helped me stay focused.
4. Develop a system of the physical exam. I don't think it's necessary to do a full physical by all means or even listen to everyone's heart and lungs. I'm kind of paranoid so I always did HEENT (usually just look in mouth and feel lymph nodes on neck, conjunctival pallor and thyroid if needed.), heart, lungs, abd (no percussion), edema, and maybe a super quick (30 sec) neuro exam (w/ gait+romberg if necessary). I never did any fancy maneuvers either. I think it's a good system to just do HEENT, CV, pulm, abd, ext and then add in 1 or 2 more specific exams as you feel necessary pertaining to the patient. But having a basic structure down helps you go on "auto-pilot" for a few minutes while you think about what to do next.
5. Before you go into the room, always come up with a list of 4-5 ddx. I can't tell you how much this has helped when I'm blanking out on history taking. Pretty much just ask your normal OPQRST kind of questions and then ask a few questions specific to each ddx and I think you've demonstrated adequate "clinical" reasoning.
6. It's OK to not know what the top ddx is. I don't think you're supposed to. As someone said earlier, if you walked out of the encounters and say that you know for sure what each guy had, you're probably in trouble. Having a preconceived dx I think limits your question asking and you might not demonstrate clinical reasoning properly (this was a big problem when I did the OSCE at school).
7. Type quickly! I think it's good to fill up all the space they give you in the history section. You won't come close to filling up the PE but that's ok. Always write down 3 ddx and make sure you include pertinent positives AND negatives.
8. You can feel like you completely missed a few cases and that's fine. I felt that way for a few of mine. I honestly walked out and was puzzling over what I was even going to put for the primary ddx.
9. I think rapport is very important in this exam (and why a lot of people fail CIS). Try to take a minute to connect with your patient if you feel like there's something wrong in the way they're behaving or the way they're talking to you. I feel like this really helps and if you can "get them on your side," the information comes out a lot easier and you have more confidence. You can afford to spare that minute to make the next 14 minutes easier. This is so much more important than remembering how to do those fancy PE maneuvers.
10. If you do all this and still fail, that's ok. There's still a lot of subjectivity in this test and you honestly might just be very unlucky. However, make sure to go over a few cases with both friends and objective people to make sure there's not anything that's glaringly wrong.
11. It's ok to take it in Philly. I'm got very worked up the last few weeks reading about all these Philly horror stories but I passed. The prep and the mentality is more important than where you take it.
12. ROUTINES. Develop a framework for everything and just do the same thing for 12 cases. Rinse and repeat. This makes you less nervous and makes you forget things less. I knew for a fact I never forgot to wash my hands or greet each patient because I did the exact same thing every time. This made me a lot less nervous.
13. The wait for the score is terrible. Clicking on the score report link was several times more nerve-wracking than Step 1 or CK.

Good luck!
 
Heyyyyy I know it's been quit some time since anyone wrote here but I think I need some support!

I took my CS 3 days ago and of course I'm thinking I failed. My mistakes
1. Told my first patient I thought he was depressed although I never asked him if he was SAD! I just did the SIGECAPS to which he responded yes to some of them, but I forgot the most important question!!!!
2. Forgot to do MSE on a patient with LOC. My neuro exam was: Muscle strength, CN and sensation!
3. Forgot to do the closure with one patient.
4. When I was almost done with the PE I was kicked out of the room. Soooo no counseling for that patient either. Besides I was suspecting Zenker's diverticulum and asked her if she felt she had bad breath, wtf was I thinking right? I tried to say it was an important question for my diagnosis but I don't know if I convinced her.
5. One of my patients coughed and She asked me for her water before I could offer her some.... I did offer her some tissue...
6. Forgot to write some of the + physical findings in my PE part of the PN... It was the most important part of my whole examination.
7. Forgot to wash my hands in one of my cases, when I noticed I did it immediatly.
8. Forgot to ask about Fhx and Social hx in the phone encounter.
Also I felt like I wasn't sympathetic enough. Felt some of the SP weren't happy with me...

I don't know what to think. I am going crazyyyyy reading online about people failing. I think many people did it better than me and failed. I feel hopeless. I really want to apply for match this year, so this is a big deal.

I am very worried! Has anyone done what I did during the exam??????