Another sunday, another Washington post article bashing doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not really bashing in my opinion. Just stating exactly what has been going on. And this was bound to happen anyway. If NPs and PAs stick to rural primary care under a supervising physician, I would be fine with that idea. As we always knew, there is a distribution issue in medicine with fewer doctors wanting to practice in rural areas especially primary care and EM, and if we can have NPs or PAs work along side the few physicians that want to practice there, that would be of great help to the patients in those areas. But we all know the fight for midlevel practice rights won’t stop there, don't we…

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The majority of my patients know the difference between a PA/NP and an MD/DO.

But many would be thankful to have a PA/NP primary provider, since we are so short of PCP's here.

When my PCP left I made three PCP appointments (I thought I'd "test-drive" a few out and stick with the one I like).

One was with his partner, and the soonest appointment was 5 months.

Another was with a university-satellite clinic, soonest appt was 3 months (with a local doc who was hired by the academic center)

The physician I really wanted to establish with had a full waitlist (meaning no new pt appointments for the next year). But I was able to book an appt with his partner, for about 11 months out.

For a PCP...

There's a reason so many docs are going concierge now. Better pay, and honestly so many administrators (and physicians) kind of crap on PCPs so I can't blame them.

With that said, if this sort of thing bothers you (scope creep, declining Medicare reimbursement/lack of inflation adjustment, decreasing physician autonomy, acceleration of physician-owned/managed practices being sold to large healthcare businesses, etc.), then become an AMA member.

I get a lot of people don't like the AMA. I didn''t--they seem to spend half their funds sending out quarterly invoices after you leave, and track you down every time you move--I went through 8 moves and kept getting their invoices! But you can't complain about any national issue then, as they're our only reasonable representation. So I'm a member again now that I'm a practicing solo doc and see the benefit of us having national representation.

Reactions: 5 users
The weirdest thing about NPs and PAs is that the thought of working more than 3 days a week (assuming 12 hour shifts) is mind-boggling to them.... even if they get paid overtime.

Yeah I’m always torn on these. As it is, patients don’t know the difference anyhow. Plenty of my patients refer to the midlevel that referred them as “doctor so and so.” Many of these I know personally and I’m positive they aren’t misrepresenting their credentials. Patients just don’t have a clue half the time.

Regardless of what laws we pass, most patients still won’t know the difference. I think there is something to the principle that we should provide clarity of credentials in a clinical environment. Enforcement is tricky, especially since patients screw it up so much now, not sure how to tell who is breaking the rules. Could maybe cut back on false advertising, but that’s it. Even then, you already see plenty of Med spas run by NPs and actually using it to brag that you’re having sweet caring nurses doing your Botox instead of some mean scary plastic surgeon.

All that said, when the proverbial s—t hits the fan, suddenly everyone remembers who all the real doctors are!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I’m always torn on these. As it is, patients don’t know the difference anyhow. Plenty of my patients refer to the midlevel that referred them as “doctor so and so.” Many of these I know personally and I’m positive they aren’t misrepresenting their credentials. Patients just don’t have a clue half the time.

Regardless of what laws we pass, most patients still won’t know the difference. I think there is something to the principle that we should provide clarity of credentials in a clinical environment. Enforcement is tricky, especially since patients screw it up so much now, not sure how to tell who is breaking the rules. Could maybe cut back on false advertising, but that’s it. Even then, you already see plenty of Med spas run by NPs and actually using it to brag that you’re having sweet caring nurses doing your Botox instead of some mean scary plastic surgeon.

All that said, when the proverbial s—t hits the fan, suddenly everyone remembers who all the real doctors are!

Certainly know where to send the supeona

Just wait until these patients figure out the NP DNP midlevel alphabet soup can’t stand seeing them either. They’re already too busy using their newly bestowed DNPs and PhDs to open up medispas giving out cryotherapy and homeopathic remedies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user