Another "thoughts please" post-comments greatly appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucknut2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that I could go around looking at everyone's predent and get a good idea about what I am going to ask..but I am feeling sort of lazy so I'll just post this instead. My question is this... with the stats that I have as well as the ECs I have, what do you think my chances are of even getting an interview. As you can see I have applied to 14 schools and at this point I have heard from one (Case) with a swift and quick rejection and I have not heard from Ohio State (my in-state public school of which I am attending undergrad!) who sent out their last batch of interviews on the 13th Nov for their last interview date in December. I sent in my application in early July and completed my DAT in the middle of August. I am sort of stunned right now as I thought I had a fighting chance of at least getting an interview at my public, in-state school and I am now questioning and wondering whether or not I can even get an interview anywhere else despite some of the people out there with similar stats or even lower who have been successful this quarter.

Additionally, would the DAT be worth retaking should I not get accepted this year or should I graduate and concentrate on doing some dental work and more EC's and rely on my grades, which are probably going to be very good in the last two quarters that I have. I dread retaking that thing unless absolutely necessary!

How much do you all think schools look at an uptrend in gpa's? Except for the first two quarters (OSU is on the quarter system) of my first year in which I received a 2.9 and a 3.0 my gpa has increased greatly from that point to where I am now. Last year of the three quarters I had 2-4.0s and a 3.75 and the year before that I had a 3.5, 3.75, and a 4.0. My freshmen year I believe I had something like a 2.9, 3.0 and 3.4. Not only have I received increasingly higher marks, I have also increased the difficulty of the courses I am taking as a Microbiology major. (A's/A-'s in Biochem, Bact genetics, Cell bio, physics series, Immunology, and several micros) Basically my lower marks the first year came from gen chem and my pre-calc and calc 1 both of which I received C's in but managed to get an A in calc II.

I guess I am growing impatient and am sort of disappointed at this point as I continue to hear absolutely nothing and now, just recently, finding out I am not getting in at OSU-where I attend now. Any advice or comments you guys would like to offer would be greatly appreciated...sorry this is so long!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA and DAT scores aren't bad...I definitely would expect you to get at least a few interviews. I see you have that 15 in QR but I think its pretty much general consensus around here that that section isn't the most important...if for some reason it doesn't work out for you this cycle, I would consider a retake, since your GPA and extracurriculars are fine. Good luck

if for some reason it doesn't work out for you this cycle, I would consider a retake, since your GPA and extracurriculars are fine.

Do the complete OPPOSITE of that. Your science GPA is bit below average. Your DAT scores are superb, no one has to tell you that because your score report came with percentiles!

To boost your science GPA, take upper level or graduate science courses at a university near you; this is too late for you to do now but something to think about for future if this cycle does not work out. Hopefully something will work out for you.

edit: On thing you forgot to mention was, when was your application complete at the schools? Meaning when did they all have your supplementary "fee"......not just the AADSAS applicaton, LOR, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that I could go around looking at everyone's predent and get a good idea about what I am going to ask..but I am feeling sort of lazy so I'll just post this instead. My question is this... with the stats that I have as well as the ECs I have, what do you think my chances are of even getting an interview. As you can see I have applied to 14 schools and at this point I have heard from one (Case) with a swift and quick rejection and I have not heard from Ohio State (my in-state public school of which I am attending undergrad!) who sent out their last batch of interviews on the 13th Nov for their last interview date in December. I sent in my application in early July and completed my DAT in the middle of August. I am sort of stunned right now as I thought I had a fighting chance of at least getting an interview at my public, in-state school and I am now questioning and wondering whether or not I can even get an interview anywhere else despite some of the people out there with similar stats or even lower who have been successful this quarter.

Additionally, would the DAT be worth retaking should I not get accepted this year or should I graduate and concentrate on doing some dental work and more EC's and rely on my grades, which are probably going to be very good in the last two quarters that I have. I dread retaking that thing unless absolutely necessary!

How much do you all think schools look at an uptrend in gpa's? Except for the first two quarters (OSU is on the quarter system) of my first year in which I received a 2.9 and a 3.0 my gpa has increased greatly from that point to where I am now. Last year of the three quarters I had 2-4.0s and a 3.75 and the year before that I had a 3.5, 3.75, and a 4.0. My freshmen year I believe I had something like a 2.9, 3.0 and 3.4. Not only have I received increasingly higher marks, I have also increased the difficulty of the courses I am taking as a Microbiology major. (A's/A-'s in Biochem, Bact genetics, Cell bio, physics series, Immunology, and several micros) Basically my lower marks the first year came from gen chem and my pre-calc and calc 1 both of which I received C's in but managed to get an A in calc II.

I guess I am growing impatient and am sort of disappointed at this point as I continue to hear absolutely nothing and now, just recently, finding out I am not getting in at OSU-where I attend now. Any advice or comments you guys would like to offer would be greatly appreciated...sorry this is so long!
your AA adds up to a 19, no?
Regardless, you should be fine for the exception of those schools that state on their website that the minimum in each are should be a 16 or 17 your 15 qr is low.. im in the same boat mine is 16 and im suffering bc of it.. but your GPA & TS are higher so good job!!!

Regardless, you should be fine for the exception of those schools that state on their website that the minimum in each are should be a 16 or 17 your 15 qr is low.. im in the same boat mine is 16 and im suffering bc of it.. but your GPA & TS are higher so good job!!!

Yea, I took the test for the first time after applying and I think that I heard or read that Case is one of those schools that have a cutoff..also, if I am remembering correctly, they accept a very limited number of in-state applicants. Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate it.

I have a 15 in QR and I have 8 interviews, 6 before dec 1 and 2 within 3 days of dec 1
Remember the Ada changes QR to make it harder this year. Yes 15 is low, but it's also not An important section. Every interview I've been on, they flat out told me it was low but didn't matter, bc the sciences were high

Id go with boosting up the science gpa. I think that is the only thing holding you back. Good DAT scores but it would def help to retake it. Do you think u can raise the PAT? if you really want to do dentistry, retake the DAT...i know it sucks.

I was in the same boat last year. State school...interviewed...waitlisted...rejected late august. Sucks to get no love from your state school when you have good stats. Be sure to apply early and you should be fine.

Plus I think you have a good shot at getting in this year too. **** happens when it comes to dental school.

Your scores are fine. Some schools have a QR cutoff and some would be concerned for the 17 PAT, but for the most part you are fine. Expect to get some interviews post Dec. 1st. I noticed that you didn't apply to Michigan, which I thought was funny :D

and on a side note...

GO ILLINI!!!!!!

Have you gotten an 'application complete' email from NYU yet? It seems they are sending out interview invites around 10 or so days after they send you that email. I think you should score an interview at NYU at least. I do think it is your sGPA holding you back from some of the other schools.

Have you gotten an 'application complete' email from NYU yet? It seems they are sending out interview invites around 10 or so days after they send you that email. I think you should score an interview at NYU at least. I do think it is your sGPA holding you back from some of the other schools.

I received an application complete email from NYU at the beginning of October and have not heard anything back from them at this point. I have a pretty heavy science course load these last three quarters so I am hoping to be able to raise the sGPA in the event I have to reapply. Thank you for the message.

I received an application complete email from NYU at the beginning of October and have not heard anything back from them at this point. I have a pretty heavy science course load these last three quarters so I am hoping to be able to raise the sGPA in the event I have to reapply. Thank you for the message.

When did u submit your application and yes your AA adds upto 19 and not 20.