Another thread about Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToStrikeInfinit

Microarray Swordmaster
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got rejected from the MD-PhD program. Two questions:

1) Is it common for MD-PhD rejects to get in through the MD program?

2) Is the whole "second cycle funding" thing, ie applying into a PhD program from the MD program, feasible? What would I have to do during M1 and M2 to be competitive for that?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got rejected from the MD-PhD program. Two questions:

1) Is it common for MD-PhD rejects to get in through the MD program?

2) Is the whole "second cycle funding" thing, ie applying into a PhD program from the MD program, feasible? What would I have to do during M1 and M2 to be competitive for that?

did you get rejected pre or post interview?

I've heard of cases that fit both of your categories. The HST is especially friendly to ppl with strong science backgrounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you get rejected pre or post interview?

I don't think anyone who is offered an interview by Harvard is rejected before March; that whole non-rolling thing and all.

FWIW, I was also rejected for the MSTP, but I still have high hopes for the chances to apply second-cycle out of the HST program. I'll be sure to ask about second-cycle applicants during my interview (omg that's tomorrow...).

ToStrikeInfinit, it seems like you haven't heard about the MD programs yet. With luck, you should find out very soon - I heard about HST literally a day after MSTP. Good luck!!

My understanding is that pretty much anybody from HST or New Pathway who wants to join the MD-PhD program can. The only issue is whether you get funding for the clinical years. I think a large majority (~90%) of people get this funding, but it is not guaranteed and not determined until near the end of your PhD. Whether they can fund depends on the numbers in the program, and this can change from year to year. Double check me on this, though, if you can get any solid information out of them. Best of luck Tiamat!