Another Waitlist Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LP1CW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the schools that you are waitlisted at know which schools you are currently holding a seat at. I know that schools that have accepted you know, but what about waitlist schools.

And if they do know, do you guys think that it hurts your chances of getting off of a waitlist if they know you already have a place to go? I mean, do you think people without a place to go have a better chance of getting in? Maybe waitlist schools still try to pull the applicants that they want regardless of their status at other schools. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

all schools that you have applied to and have not withdrew/rejected from should have a copy of the schools you have been accepted to.

i dont think that it matters at all...the fact that you havent withdrawn from the waitlist means that you want to attend the institution. i dont think it matters if you have been already accepted or not. just because someone is on a waitlist and has no acceptance, i dont think a school would choose that person over someone because of "feeling sorry" for that applicant.

In case you don't know this yet, interest in the school matters during the waitlist season. When school pulls someone off the waitlist, they're trying to replace a spot. They don't want the waitlist acceptee to end up getting off the waitlist at another school and withdraw later. If you're sure that a school's your first choice, you should make it clear to the school--it makes a difference in some situation.