Another WAMC Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AedesA

Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA are 2.895, with a strong upward trend starting junior year. Senior year Deans list/4.0gpa
2 years of research (my own work, not time assisting a prof)
Part of the 2 years included a paid position after my graduation to continue working on project
Presented on my research (no publication)
Leadership Position
Some teaching/mentoring experience starting senior year, continuing post graduation (lab related)
Student Club founder/president for 2 years
~30 hours community service/volunteer work
6 years as a Pharmacy Technician
100 hours shadowing family practice MD
100 hours shadowing family practice PA
Volunteer work at family practice clinic
45 hours shadowing DPM

This is a somewhat condensed version of my CV.

MCAT: I am scheduled to take it 3/12/22. That will be my first attempt. I have yet to take a FL, however so far the studying seems to be going well. Planning on taking an FL by the end of November.

I have strong LOR's for (4) academic, (2) DPM, and (1) professional.

I know my gpa is the weak spot on my application (assuming my MCAT does not go horribly wrong). However, I am hoping that the upward trend, along with my EC's will be enough to balance out my bad overall gpa. Excluding the pharmacy experience, all of my EC started junior year along with the upward trend in my GPA. I am concerned that even with a decent or better MCAT score I will be applying too late in the cycle to have a reasonable chance of getting accepted. I have a school in particular I would like to attend, however I will likely be applying to a handful of schools this cycle. My plan is to send in my application as soon as I get my score back, assuming it is not atrocious.

I know the MCAT is the other major part of my application, and I will add it once take it and get my score, assuming its ~500-505, do I still have a chance at getting in this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

You still have a shot if you score close to 500 in March 22 exam. Your ECs are excellent, and your GPAs are somewhat acceptable. I hope you know by now which career to move forward too (based on your ECs). That said, please concentrate on doing well on the MCAT and use all the available resources from the AAMC. It's a good sign if you are scoring above 500 on the practice FLs from the AAMC. Good luck!

FYI a few of us here applied a month before the deadline and got in for that August/Sept start. It all depends on seat availability and your stats.

Reactions: 1 users
Your sGPA is low. And getting a 4.0 in Senior year means very little if you waited until senior year to do all your electives.

If I was reviewing your application, I'd be looking very hard at how you fared in the basic science classes. More so than your MCAT scores.

I would say that 3.0 sGPA is the bare minimum, just to get an interview at some of the schools.

But yes, ace the MCATs as that's likely your best bet.

All of your extra curricular stuff is great, but that won't help you get through the curriculum.

Your sGPA is low. And getting a 4.0 in Senior year means very little if you waited until senior year to do all your electives.

Senior year was 30 credits, 27 of which were science credits. First two years of undergrad I did average/below average in my classes. Starting Junior year my performance across the board was improved. I did well in classes such as microbio, organic chemistry, and cell bio.

I had some issues in my personal life that resulted in my poor performance in my first two years. I have learned how to deal with such issues, and I am hoping that my upward trend reflects that. I understand that my gpa is low, and that having at least a 3.0 science gpa would help.

I also understand that doing well on the MCAT is essentially the only way I can get in without doing a post bac to improve my gpa.

My main concern was simply applying late in the cycle given my stats, even if I am able to score 505+ on the MCAT. Given my test date, my application would likely be submitted around late April.

Reactions: 1 user