Another "what are my chances" post...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikedc813

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't resist seing what everyone thinks about my chances at matching. My preceptor seems to think I have a decent shot, but I'm still nervous!

I'm a 4th year at the University of South Florida where a new program just started at Moffitt this year. I have been basically hanging out there for 3 years getting to know everyone. My Step 1 was 227/91. My Step 2 scores are pending. I received mostly Honors during preclinical years and ended up ranked 30/120 as of 2nd year. My 3rd year grades are 2 Honors, 3 High Pass, and 1 Pass. I received clinical honors in my rotation at Moffitt this year. I have no aways. I have a lot of volunteer activities and have been involved in student government. I am about the submit a breast/heart dose paper to the Red Journal as 1st author. I am 2nd author on an abstract that was presented at the IGRT Symposium this year. This will be presented as a poster in October. I keep telling myself that my chances aren't so hot, but am having hope that I am wrong. If I rock Step 2, what do you think of me on paper?

By the way, all of your help has been great over the past few years. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your Step I/grades are within the SD of accepted applicants, though on the low end. However, your first author pub in IJROBP is huge and will be well-regarded. Also, in my experience, Moffitt is a fairly well-known cancer center. IIRC, Moffitt recently started a residency so you should be a prime candidate.

Good luck!

Sorry I couldn't resist seing what everyone thinks about my chances at matching. My preceptor seems to think I have a decent shot, but I'm still nervous!

I'm a 4th year at the University of South Florida where a new program just started at Moffitt this year. I have been basically hanging out there for 3 years getting to know everyone. My Step 1 was 227/91. My Step 2 scores are pending. I received mostly Honors during preclinical years and ended up ranked 30/120 as of 2nd year. My 3rd year grades are 2 Honors, 3 High Pass, and 1 Pass. I received clinical honors in my rotation at Moffitt this year. I have no aways. I have a lot of volunteer activities and have been involved in student government. I am about the submit a breast/heart dose paper to the Red Journal as 1st author. I am 2nd author on an abstract that was presented at the IGRT Symposium this year. This will be presented as a poster in October. I keep telling myself that my chances aren't so hot, but am having hope that I am wrong. If I rock Step 2, what do you think of me on paper?

By the way, all of your help has been great over the past few years. Thanks!!!

I think you have a fair of a shot as any. Good luck. And I don't think your step 2 score will matter much...as long as you don't miserably fail it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. When do programs typically notify candidates of interviews?

you are better than me...and i'm still applying...haha

im just hoping that i can secure a research position for a year if i dont match

i think as med students, we are all nervous about not matching, so i dont blame u for asking about what are my chances....i want to know also!

just out of curiousity...worst case - if u dont match, are u just going to take the prelim medicine year? i wanted to know if u can back out of a prelim medicine year or is it frowned upon like normal categorical residencies?

the only reason i ask is cuz what if research isn't possible ...