Another "What are my chances" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMRhythm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am currently applying for this 2014-2015 cycle and I am curious as to what my chances are, I will try to go into as much detail as possible about my apps

Stats:
College: University of California San Diego
Major: Pharmacological Chemistry (B.S. in December 2014)
Minor: Psychology
GPA: 3.4
PCAT: Composite 97th Percentile

Backstory:
So I know that my application is not perfect, back during my first quarter of college I was caught cheating on an exam and and received an F for the class. I had to retake the class and I received an A the second time around but because it was for cheating I was unable to replace the grade, hence why my GPA is low. Since then I became an officer of the Academic Integrity Matters organization on campus in order to work with other students who have been in similar situations as me and to help others from ever being in a similar situation. I explained my situation on my app and from the admission officers and counselors I have talked to they have told me that as long as I learned a valuable lesson from it and grew as a person it would not hinder my app as much. And I would say that I did learn a lot from it as it motivated me to work even harder throughout my undergraduate career.

My GPA shows an upward trend as I heard that schools do look at that as well:
1st year: 3.10
2nd year: 3.19
3rd year: 3.51
4th year: 3.87

Extracurricular:
Pharmacy Volunteer: 150 hours volunteering in a pharmacy clinic
Hospital Volunteer: 100 hours volunteering in the emergency room of a hospital
Research Assistant: Worked in a research lab on campus for a year (450 hours)
Events Coordinator for AIM: Held and officer position in AIM for a year

Letters of Recommendation:
One from my Pharmacology professor (received an A+ in the class)
One from my Biochemistry professor (received an A+ in the class)
One from my P.I. in the lab I worked at
One from a Pharmacist I worked with.

Status of my application:
Seeing as many schools have rolling admission I tried to get my app in as early as possible without compromising quality in my personal statement as well as other writing portions. I e-submitted on 8/12 and I am just waiting on my PCAT score from January to come (I requested the transcript a couple of weeks late because I did not anticipate it would take this long) and 2 more letters of recommendation and I will be set. I also have a question as to whether or not this delay will hinder my app by a lot? I am not sure how fast more applicants get their stuff in and whether or not submitting within the first month is a good time? I am currently working on my supplemental applications and hope to have everything done within the next 2 weeks.

I applied to a lot of schools but here are some of the ones I am hoping to get into the most
All the California Schools
Ohio State University
Temple University
University of North Carolina
University of Hawaii
University of Texas
University of Colorado
South University.

Thanks for the help/advice in advance! If you have any questions for me feel free to comment below!

Members don't see this ad.

your stats are good and you are trying to get everything in as soon as possible. That is good.

One note: your list is top heavy. Try to add more mid and some low tier for safety and backup and you are golden. GL :)

Hey everybody, I am currently applying for this 2014-2015 cycle and I am curious as to what my chances are, I will try to go into as much detail as possible about my apps

Stats:
College: University of California San Diego
Major: Pharmacological Chemistry (B.S. in December 2014)
Minor: Psychology
GPA: 3.4
PCAT: Composite 97th Percentile

Backstory:
So I know that my application is not perfect, back during my first quarter of college I was caught cheating on an exam and and received an F for the class. I had to retake the class and I received an A the second time around but because it was for cheating I was unable to replace the grade, hence why my GPA is low. Since then I became an officer of the Academic Integrity Matters organization on campus in order to work with other students who have been in similar situations as me and to help others from ever being in a similar situation. I explained my situation on my app and from the admission officers and counselors I have talked to they have told me that as long as I learned a valuable lesson from it and grew as a person it would not hinder my app as much. And I would say that I did learn a lot from it as it motivated me to work even harder throughout my undergraduate career.

My GPA shows an upward trend as I heard that schools do look at that as well:
1st year: 3.10
2nd year: 3.19
3rd year: 3.51
4th year: 3.87

Extracurricular:
Pharmacy Volunteer: 150 hours volunteering in a pharmacy clinic
Hospital Volunteer: 100 hours volunteering in the emergency room of a hospital
Research Assistant: Worked in a research lab on campus for a year (450 hours)
Events Coordinator for AIM: Held and officer position in AIM for a year

Letters of Recommendation:
One from my Pharmacology professor (received an A+ in the class)
One from my Biochemistry professor (received an A+ in the class)
One from my P.I. in the lab I worked at
One from a Pharmacist I worked with.

Status of my application:
Seeing as many schools have rolling admission I tried to get my app in as early as possible without compromising quality in my personal statement as well as other writing portions. I e-submitted on 8/12 and I am just waiting on my PCAT score from January to come (I requested the transcript a couple of weeks late because I did not anticipate it would take this long) and 2 more letters of recommendation and I will be set. I also have a question as to whether or not this delay will hinder my app by a lot? I am not sure how fast more applicants get their stuff in and whether or not submitting within the first month is a good time? I am currently working on my supplemental applications and hope to have everything done within the next 2 weeks.

I applied to a lot of schools but here are some of the ones I am hoping to get into the most
All the California Schools
Ohio State University
Temple University
University of North Carolina
University of Hawaii
University of Texas
University of Colorado
South University.

Thanks for the help/advice in advance! If you have any questions for me feel free to comment below!

Thanks! And I have like 10 more schools I didn't list lol, those are more mid to low tier schools. I just wanted to post the top tier schools on here because those are the ones that I am hoping to get into the most!

Members don't see this ad :)
wayyyyyyyyyyy too many schools. Apply to like 6

I know I applied to way more schools than the average applicant but because of my Academic Dishonesty mark on my transcript I was extremely nervous when picking schools and decided that it wouldn't hurt to just apply to more in case some schools outright reject me for it =\

Reactions: 1 user
I know I applied to way more schools than the average applicant but because of my Academic Dishonesty mark on my transcript I was extremely nervous when picking schools and decided that it wouldn't hurt to just apply to more in case some schools outright reject me for it =\

that is smart !! :thumbup::thumbup: