Another what are my chances thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pilonidalcyst

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Becoming more interested in anesthesia and wondering what the odds are.

School: DO
Step 1: 220/590 Step 2: 245/610
Grades: Mix of A's and B's
Clinical: Mix of A's and B's (we do letter grades)
Research: none
Geographical preference: anywhere but Mountain time zone. Would prefer southeast.

Members don't see this ad.

It's tough to say what your odds are, but I can give you my stats for reference. Relatively similar (step1 233/558, step2 235/627. top 20 in class). I applied to 40 programs (all ACGME) and have been offered 4 interviews at this point. I think the average step 1 for anesthesiology match is 230, someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Hope that helps at least a little bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I know my COMLEX aligns well with the competitiveness of gas, but am just hesitant to put my all my eggs in that one basket due to that less than stellar USMLE score.

Good COMLEX scores help, but you are taking a little bit of a gamble to assume programs understand that number. Your USMLE scores are on the low end (especially Step 2), as you know. You'll need to do heavy research online to see which programs are "DO-friendly" and target your applications there - focus on community-programs. Expand your search into the midwest where DOs are more common. As I say to all DO applicants, don't apply to programs if there are no current DO residents unless you have some sort of "in."

Traditional academic programs aren't likely to show you much interest unless it's a satellite program, but more community-based may give you a chance. I would probably have a backup plan just to be safe, but I am a risk-averse person.

Can i point out the irony of OP's SN? oh how well he will know that word as a CA-1.

I'm sure there are plenty of programs in the SE that will take you.