Answering questions during 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gerrard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any time I am in small group/histology slide conference/radiology image conference and the teacher asks a question, I can usually get the answer if I just think about it for a second, but the same few people always blurt out the answer almost immediately.

That in itself doesn't bother me, but I'm afraid that in 3rd year, when doctors ask questions to students, the same few people would immediately answer and I would not even have a chance to look good in front of an attending.

Does it work like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Any time I am in small group/histology slide conference/radiology image conference and the teacher asks a question, I can usually get the answer if I just think about it for a second, but the same few people always blurt out the answer almost immediately.

That in itself doesn't bother me, but I'm afraid that in 3rd year, when doctors ask questions to students, the same few people would immediately answer and I would not even have a chance to look good in front of an attending.

Does it work like this?

It's usually not a "poll the audience" thing on rounds. You present your patient and they'll ask you questions about your patient. If one of the other students blurts out answers to questions about your patient, then they'll have outed themselves a douche and a gunner and everyone will know it.

It's usually not a "poll the audience" thing on rounds. You present your patient and they'll ask you questions about your patient. If one of the other students blurts out answers to questions about your patient, then they'll have outed themselves a douche and a gunner and everyone will know it.
What about lifelines? I'll probably need to phone a friend.

Impressing has much to do about factors other than whether you answer a pimp question right. Other factors that are equally are important include (and some you don't have control over) what your resident/intern thinks of you (including whether you appear outgoing/engaged/good looking/tall vs annoying/quiet/confused/disengaged), how your write ups are, how good of a mood your attending is in, how good of a mood your resident is in, how excited you appear, your presentation skills including how well you data-gather and form an assessment/plan.