Answers to your picture questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
X

X

Okay here is what I did, probably not the cheapest option but I didn't have much time.

Most places will charge you per two passport photos and that is expensive.
I went to a photographer yesterday, he shot a roll of 24, today I picked one and he printed me out 20 passport size (and I can buy more since there is a negative) for $85. Not cheap, but not that bad either, I guess. Just call a few photographers or better - get a roll of 36, get a friend and a camera and shoot away. Your gonna have one good take in that and get it printed in that size (probably much cheaper that way, that is what I would do, now in hindsight).

X

Members don't see this ad.

X,

:laugh: I like your sig! :laugh:

$85!!

damn - my 80 cent (literally) method for 16 pics is decent. good ole hp deskjet and photopaper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jot,

That definitely works...I figured I am paying so much for applications, might as well try to get a decent pic (that is for us not so photogenic people) and this was about the cost of one secondary (hell less than some secondaries, and we had to pay for the primary fee too). Overall I think it was worth it.

X

Or you could just go to your local Osco (drug store) have them take your passport photos and print out a sheet of them for $8 and then go make copies of them and voila. Quick and cheap.

Whatever happened to Walmart photos..54 pics and wallet size for $6:laugh:

There is no Wal-Mart by me! I've been hoping that one would find its way here. I only have K'Marts and I hate them! ok...now I'll bow outta' here since I just took this thread to a new place...:)

what's wrong with finding a good head shot of me, and simply cutting it down to 2" x 2"? My fiance has a very nice picture cutter that can make very nice, accurate cuts.

bump.

what's wrong with finding a good head shot of yourself, and simply cutting it down to 2" x 2"? My fiance has a very nice picture cutter that can make very nice, accurate cuts.

go to sears...they let you choose out of 6 pics, order one sheet, go to a drugstore with a kodak picture maker and copy the pics for 6 bucks :) I liked my pic so I ordered a big one for my mommy. :D

When they say passport photos, do they specifically mean passport photos? I have just been taking pics which are about 3 years old (I havent changed THAT much) that are wallet size and cutting them down a little to fit the little box thingys on the applications.

Here's probably the cheapest idea ever...go to an arcade or some place with those photo booths put in a dollar you get 4 shots that are the right size and your problem is finished w/ as little as a dollar.

I went to an Olan Mills at KMart and took about 10 poses for $10. They were having a sale of $30 for 12 wallets, so I bought 12 wallets of one pose and 12 wallets of another pose. A little pricey, but they are some of the best pictures I have taken in my life. Maybe if I need more reprints I will take them elsewhere, since you guys have good suggestions about where to go.

Cindy

p.s. It takes 4 weeks for reprints to come in!! Luckily, you get to go home w/ about 8 wallets per pose to tide you over.
p.p.s. X, your signature sounds like one of those credit card or diamond ring commercials! :laugh:

It's the Mastercard commercial customized for all you MCAT people.......new commercial coming soon ( I will start thinking of a new one right now):)

X

To answer a previous question, they just want any pic that is 2 x 2 (and appropriate) ;).....so it's ok to cut old pics or to cut wallet sized pics (that's what I did). I used a paper cutter--I can't tell you how many pics I messed up b/c I can't cut a straight line by myself! :laugh: And it was annoying to cut the 2x2 and keep my face centered in the pic.....:rolleyes:

This is what worked for me, I did not have a paper cutter.

I just had my girlfriend at the time take a roll of pictures using a standard
camera, nothing special. I put on a shirt and a tie to make everything look
as nice as possible. I stood in front of a bush at school and then took the
film to a one hour photo place and for a total of about $10 I had the pics.
I had to cut them out, which was easy, just make a 2" x 2" template of paper
and center your face on the paper using the light from a window or
something. Tape the template down and cut the pic out. I just used a
standard set of scissors and cut slowly. It must have worked, because I was
accepted to several good schools.

good luck everyone!

here's what I did and I think it's the best option:

(and I checked JC Penney's, Sears...Wallgreens, etc)

Go to your local Kinko's. They are open 24 hours in most metro locales. Let them know that you want a 2*2 passport pic. For 2, it will cost you 12 bucks. Then, you wait for the 2 pics to dry....(20 mins or so) and ask them to make a Photo ID sheet on their glossy paper. You will get 20 pics on that glossy paper for $1.50. The whole thing costs less than 15 bucks, and you get 22 pics.

The problem with taking a Sears or JCP photo to be duplicated is that no other place will copy those pics for you because of copyright issues. You will have to go to a Kodak processing machine and copy the pics yourself. Even then, it's more expensive because the Kodak pic thing costs like 7 bucks for 20 pics. Your total would be about 22 dollars AT LEAST that way. But if you go to Kinko's, it's less than 15 bucks.

Cheapest method, but requires the right tools:

Take photo of yourself with digital camera
Crop and resize to 2"X2", bump up DPI to 300
Put like 20 of them on one page
go to www.kinkos.com
upload file
print color on glossy paper
pick up at store 15 minutes later.

total cost: $1.79 + tax.

w000000000t

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
here's what I did and I think it's the best option:

(and I checked JC Penney's, Sears...Wallgreens, etc)

Go to your local Kinko's. They are open 24 hours in most metro locales. Let them know that you want a 2*2 passport pic. For 2, it will cost you 12 bucks. Then, you wait for the 2 pics to dry....(20 mins or so) and ask them to make a Photo ID sheet on their glossy paper. You will get 20 pics on that glossy paper for $1.50. The whole thing costs less than 15 bucks, and you get 22 pics.

The problem with taking a Sears or JCP photo to be duplicated is that no other place will copy those pics for you because of copyright issues. You will have to go to a Kodak processing machine and copy the pics yourself. Even then, it's more expensive because the Kodak pic thing costs like 7 bucks for 20 pics. Your total would be about 22 dollars AT LEAST that way. But if you go to Kinko's, it's less than 15 bucks.

i had no problem getting kinko's to copy my 8 dollar passport pics onto a glossy sheet

Originally posted by jot
$85!!

damn - my 80 cent (literally) method for 16 pics is decent. good ole hp deskjet and photopaper.

hell yeah! that's what i'm talking about.
i splurged a little and spent twice as much as you though :D