Anthony Bourdain...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have the over/under on Anthony Bourdain's post-mortem tox being POS for illicits? I'll miss that guy...

Something, but he also spoke of being depressed and his daughter making him happy.

Speaking of which, both him and Kate spade are selfish as **** for killing them selves while they both have young teenagers

Just totally mentally screwing up those kids for most of their lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
According to my wife, Anthony was addicted to heroin many years ago. She read his first book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something, but he also spoke of being depressed and his daughter making him happy.

Speaking of which, both him and Kate spade are selfish as **** for killing them selves while they both have young teenagers

Just totally mentally screwing up those kids for at least a dozen years.
It is selfish but thinking about other people might be a luxury for those of us with normal chemistry. I can only imagine the pain this guy was constantly going through to end his life. Like Robin Williams, he was a contributor to society, not some mooch trying to make a statement.

As hard to imagine as it is, I have to respect that it was his life and his choice. It's not for me to say what he was capable of doing or what he should have done for his family. I feel the same way about marriage "for the kids". I don't think it's healthy for people to walk around with fake smiley faces "for the kids". It may be that his daughter has watched him suffer in mental anguish for years and this is a relief.

RIP AB.

Reactions: 1 users
Very sad. Tremendous talent. No doubt booze and drugs. I will miss his work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
It is selfish but thinking about other people might be a luxury for those of us with normal chemistry. I can only imagine the pain this guy was constantly going through to end his life. Like Robin Williams, he was a contributor to society, not some mooch trying to make a statement.

As hard to imagine as it is, I have to respect that it was his life and his choice. It's not for me to say what he was capable of doing or what he should have done for his family. I feel the same way about marriage "for the kids". I don't think it's healthy for people to walk around with fake smiley faces "for the kids". It may be that his daughter has watched him suffer in mental anguish for years and this is a relief.

RIP AB.

dude, get off your soapbox. you honestly have no ground to stand on if you dont have kids. (which i THINK you dont, but im not sure). when you have a child, you make that commitment to raise them. you want to end your life, that is you business, but when people depend on you, suicide is the utmost selfish act.

Amateur psych thinking on the subject of suicide follows: I doubt i could suicide cause I would get too anxious contemplating it. However, if i was taking an anti-anxiety medication i suppose the anxiety would go away and then it would be possible. I figure most people are that way and that is the reason people who suicide are often alcohol abusers, because some substance abusers drink alcohol because they are feeling bad to begin with (as opposed to people who drink cause they want to party) and once that anxiety goes away they figure why not off themselves? I doubt suicide for most people is a complex cognitive decision, it is probably impulsive and therefore seems like a mystery to thinking types. Bottom line - get rid of substances that relieve anxiety and most of the epidemic of suicides will go away. Of course, to do that is an impossible task. But if you think someone is at risk for suicide you might try and hide the alcohol and benzos.

However much people contemplate and plan for suicide in the depths of their despair, the final act is always ultimately impulsive. It's like jumping off a high dive - you can stand up there looking down at the water, but when it comes to it, you're never going to get down from there until you make that instantaneous decision to "just do it".
This is why removing guns and pills from the homes of suicidal people reduces suicide rate - if there's not something easily to hand when you come to the point of finally doing it, you likely won't.

I would not be surprised if Bourdain was back on something - haven't seen any details of the nature of his suicide, but did see that he was in France shooting an episode of his show, and that his best friend, chef Eric Ripert, found him. I can't imagine something worse than discovering the body of someone you love.

found hanging in hotel room, sounds like french authorities aren't investigating it further so may never get tox

Anthony Bourdain Was the Most Interesting Man in the World
Anthony Bourdain Was the Most Interesting Man in the World
I wanted his life. I don’t think I’m alone in that. He went places you and I will never go. He ate things you and I will never eat. He met people you and I will never meet. He lived. Anthony Bourdain lived so much that the idea of him dying seems completely preposterous.

dude, get off your soapbox. you honestly have no ground to stand on if you dont have kids. (which i THINK you dont, but im not sure). when you have a child, you make that commitment to raise them. you want to end your life, that is you business, but when people depend on you, suicide is the utmost selfish act.
Wait, I'm on a soapbox? I just said my opinion, that he was selfish but should not be condemned for it because he was probably mentally ill. Then you come along and say, "Alright everyone, I'm here to tell you how it is because I have kids - he was UTMOST selfish!"

I don't have kids but I have parents and was a kid and grew up in a family. I have a right to my opinion and to express it when it comes to kids, parents, and families. I won't claim to be any kind of expert though. In anything...

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, I'm on a soapbox? I just said my opinion, that he was selfish but should not be condemned for it because he was probably mentally ill. Then you come along and say, "Alright everyone, I'm here to tell you how it is because I have kids - he was UTMOST selfish!"

I don't have kids but I have parents and was a kid and grew up in a family. I have a right to my opinion and to express it when it comes to kids, parents, and families. I won't claim to be any kind of expert though. In anything...

i appreciate your opinions, and im glad tha tyou share them.

and yeah, i guess you were not on a soapbox.

but, being a kid and HAVING a kid arent exactly the same thing.

I can't believe having an 11-year old daughter wasn't enough to get him to step back from the edge. Articles I've read suggest he was in a darker mood than usual the past week.

If this had been well planned, I would expect there to have been a note, and so far there are no reports of one.

Not to get too graphic, but we are all doctors here. I also have to wonder how easy and pain-free it is to hang yourself with a bathrobe. Maybe he was having morbid thoughts, not even truly suicidal. Then maybe he makes a noose to play around with and puts it around his neck, just to see would feel like. Then he goes a bit farther, and dangles a bit. Before you know it, the carotids are cut off and he passes out, accidentally going all the way. It can't be that painful a way to go if so many choose it.

Is this another 'died while jerking off scenario?'

doubtful, hard to understand this when he was filming with one of his closest friends at an idyllic french town for one of his more enjoyable episodes.

I have kids and it appears selfish but I think when these people off themselves their thinking is so dark and warped it's to the point that they feel their kids are better off without them. They apologize to the kids because they don't want the kids to blame themselves but overall, as they see it, the kids are better off in the long run now that they're gone. At least that's how I understand it.