Antibiotic Prescriptive Authority

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcrusc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember some talk about Audiologists being able to take extra courses in the future to be able to prescribe antibiotics for infections. However, I cannot find anything on the topic whatsoever. Has anyone else heard anything?

Members don't see this ad.

i heard something about that, but it was from a faculty member of PCO. Hence, they were pitching there program because it leans toward the medical perspective. So I'm not sure how reliable that is, other than that I haven't heard much. I'll find out from my professor and will post my findings.

So, I spoke to my professor and she said she hasn't heard anything regarding that. I figure she would know since she is a co-director of the Au.D grad program in my school.

I believe it was NOVA Southeastern University in Florida. I heard about this a few years ago although I can't find any information about it now.

However, knowing what I know now about how middle ear infections work and how they are treated there is no way that audiologist will ever be able to prescribe antibiotics. Audiologists do not have the type of training to do this in most cases. Even if we did there would be a huge resistance from the ENT community.