Antibiotics

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovelydisaster

UHCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I unfortunately have a stye in my right eyelid and it's not getting any better after warm compresses. In fact, my eyelid was swollen this morning and yesterday the pain became more sharp than dull. (It's been about 2 weeks since I first went to see the doc). I went to see him again today, but he said he couldn't prescribe me the doxycycline, which surprised me. I just wanted to see if optometrists really couldn't prescribe antibiotic drugs. Lastly, I live in Texas :) Thanks in advance!! Any information (even regarding my stinking stye) is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! So I unfortunately have a stye in my right eyelid and it's not getting any better after warm compresses. In fact, my eyelid was swollen this morning and yesterday the pain became more sharp than dull. (It's been about 2 weeks since I first went to see the doc). I went to see him again today, but he said he couldn't prescribe me the doxycycline, which surprised me. I just wanted to see if optometrists really couldn't prescribe antibiotic drugs. Lastly, I live in Texas :) Thanks in advance!! Any information (even regarding my stinking stye) is greatly appreciated!

It depends on the state.

Members don't see this ad :)

Did you ask the doctor he couldn't prescribe that medicine to you :confused:

Well, he said it was a part of "systemic therapy" and it wasn't legal for him to prescribe Doxycycline to me. Sigh.

I could give you a script every time.

Well, he said it was a part of "systemic therapy" and it wasn't legal for him to prescribe Doxycycline to me. Sigh.

Unfortunately, some states still do not have oral prescribing rights. Also some doctors may have graduated prior to oral prescribing so they personally choose to continue to practice within the scope they graduated under. :thumbdown:

O rly?? I think docs can prescribe oral antibiotics in TX.. he's kind of on the older side (going to retire in a year or so) and perhaps you're right about him wanting to practice within the scope he graduated under. Thanks for the input!

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that lists all the medications optometrists are allowed to prescribe and the states they are allowed to prescribe them?

Last edited:
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that lists all the medications optometrists are allowed to prescribe and the states they are allowed to prescribe them?

The AOA site has a map but you need to be a member/student member to access it.

Pennsylvania has a LONG list of all the orals (steroids, fungals, virals, A/B, etc). It also serves as a nice study guide for TMOD :thumbup: