Antibodies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saccharine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding antibodies,

1. What exactly is an anti antibody, and how does it work?

2. In addition, could someone explain the terms monovalent/divalent, unideterminant, etc.?

3. How does cross linking work? What would be the case when cross linking could happen and when it couldn't, in regards to the terms discussed in my second question.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Im also wondering about the terms monovalent/divalent, unideterminant... I came across them in a berkely review passage in section V passage 1 question 5 about Papain...

It has something to do with antibody fragments I think...

I think I found it through google. Can someone check this? I typed this myself.

There are antigens that are univalent, meaning they have one epitope to bind a unique antibody, which may be unideterminant or multi determinant.​

Univalent and unideterminant antigens have one and only one antigen determining site for one antibody only.
Univalent and multideterminant antigens, which means there are different unique epitopes on the foreign body which will bind to correspondingly unique antibodies.

Moreover, there are multivalent antigens have multiple binding sights for multiple antibodies that can either be unideterminant or multi determinant.​

If the multivalent antigen is unideterminant, then multiple identical antibodies can bind to each identical antigen site on the foreign body.
If the multivalent antigen is multi determinant (it has multiple epitopes or antigenic determining sites), then different antibodies can bind the different antigen sites on the foreign body.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Anti-antibodies are just antibodies that bind to other antibodies like they were antigens.

2. Monovalent antibodies bind to just one time of antigenic determinants (or etiope). Polyvalent antibodies have affinities for mulitple etiopes.

Antigens are monovalent if they have just one type of etiope. They are polyvalent if they have different etiopes. Unideterminant/multi-determinant is in reference to the number of etiopes on an antigen. If an antigen is unideterminant it has only one etiope. If an antigen is multi-determinant it has multiple etiopes. So antigens can be univalent and unideterminant (one binding site). Univalent and multideterminant (one type of binding site but there's more than one). Or multivalent and multideterminant (different types of binding sites and there's more than one of them).

3. Crosslinking occurs when one antigen molecule binds to multiple antibodies. Therefore the antigen has to be multivalent.

And papain is like trypsin - it cleaves proteins into fragments!

Reactions: 1 users
The corresponding TBR passage did not include multivalent + unideterminant antibody. Can there even be a multivalent/unideterminant antibody? In other words, is it possible for one binding site of an epitope to bind more than one type of antibodies?

I thought one epitope can only bind one unique antibody, so this combination is not possible.