antifungals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for systemic infection.

My next project. Now that Fulconazole is generic and Ampho-B is dirt cheap and toxic, we're being invaded with very high cost new class of antifungals.

We have the azoles, ampho-b, and echinocandins.

How about some input on therapy options and cost effectiveness of our options.

IDSA has nice guidelines if you're so interested in this topic.

There are many pharmacists with many different expertise.. I haven't come across many with a keen interest in antifungals. If we're not careful, antifungal therapy can take a big bite out of many hospital's antibiotic budget.

Members don't see this ad.

ZpackSux said:
for systemic infection.

My next project. Now that Fulconazole is generic and Ampho-B is dirt cheap and toxic, we're being invaded with very high cost new class of antifungals.

We have the azoles, ampho-b, and echinocandins.

How about some input on therapy options and cost effectiveness of our options.

IDSA has nice guidelines if you're so interested in this topic.

There are many pharmacists with many different expertise.. I haven't come across many with a keen interest in antifungals. If we're not careful, antifungal therapy can take a big bite out of many hospital's antibiotic budget.

I'm actually quite happy to see replacements for Ampho - it is cheap to buy, but expensive to monitor & administer & tx the side effects - so both pharmacy & nursing time need to be factored in.

We might have a different perspective here since we have such resistance.

Our HIV pts generally have different sp than chemo pts...so population & sp occurrence & resistance patterns to me become as influential as price.

What pt population do you have & do they get Candida or other sp? Also...is the source pulmonary or urinary prior to sepsis & are they admitted with the infection or do they acquire it during their hospitalization?

Those were all things we have considered when we advise on availablilty & usage priorities, altho....I will admit, most SF hospitals have & use all available ones. Where I am, we don't see as much resistance as they do, altho it is still a large factor.

I'm in the middle of composing a new drug monograph for Eraxis. It's only for Candida sp, but it seems to have low side effects. Have either of you had any experience with it, yet?