Antimicrobial Stewardship

Started by drive123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drive123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going to start my pgy2 in july if I match. I would like to brush up on my antimicrobial drugs and would like to do an Antimicrobial Stewardship program. I was wondering which program is better. MAD-ID or SIDP? Does my future PGY-2 hospital sponsor this cost usually or should I ask my existing hospital to sponsor this? I would like to ideally go into my PGY-2 program with more confidence in Anti microbial agents. Thank you.
 
These programs are expensive and take some time to complete...I don't see why your current hospital would want to pay because it won't benefit them. Your future hospital probably has no way to reimburse you if you aren't actually an employee yet. You could ask.
 
I am going to start my pgy2 in july if I match. I would like to brush up on my antimicrobial drugs and would like to do an Antimicrobial Stewardship program. I was wondering which program is better. MAD-ID or SIDP? Does my future PGY-2 hospital sponsor this cost usually or should I ask my existing hospital to sponsor this? I would like to ideally go into my PGY-2 program with more confidence in Anti microbial agents. Thank you.

They are expensive and I would be rather surprised if a residency program would cover the cost, especially if you are not in an ID program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did the MAD-ID program. It was approximately 500 dollars. I had to complete a project that took a few months under a mentor. Much of the program was done at the MAD-ID meeting.
 
I did the MAD-ID program. It was approximately 500 dollars. I had to complete a project that took a few months under a mentor. Much of the program was done at the MAD-ID meeting.

Thank you. How many months did it take you in total? Do you advice taking it. Any positives and negatives with the program. Thanks again.
 
Thank you. How many months did it take you in total? Do you advice taking it. Any positives and negatives with the program. Thanks again.

It took 5 months from May to October. It was very helpful. I did the advanced program where most of the classes have to be done at the annual meeting in Orlando in May. You can do the basic program without going to the meeting. The timeline was mainly due to the project. It has to be approved by MAD-ID and approved at your hospital. Depending on the hospital and your project, it may have to go through IRB. The material was top notch. You can bounce questions off some very well known ID pharmacists.I learned a lot. My project was a combination Psuedomonas antibiogram.