Antivaxers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WheezyBaby

RSV Fomite
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... Have you all had a significant problem with individuals refusing vaccinations for their pets? The antivax for their kids cohort on my Facebook has started going on about natural oils for their pets and trying to find vets who will take care of their unvaccinated pets. Is the concern doggie autism? I'm assuming these pets are barred from care as a matter of course?

Everyday we stray further from god's light

Members don't see this ad.

Only very occasionally. Some clinics where I've worked don't mind, others have had a policy where they don't refuse care for pets without up to date rabies vaccines, but do refuse any inpatient care. When I've had clients who've refused even rabies vaccines I explain that to them, reminding them that rabies vaccines are as much for human health as for the pet's protection.

Why are they anti-vax? I imagine the reasons vary, but when I've asked most have kind of given me a vague "I don't believe in them" or "I don't want to give him something that isn't necessary".

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity... Have you all had a significant problem with individuals refusing vaccinations for their pets? The antivax for their kids cohort on my Facebook has started going on about natural oils for their pets and trying to find vets who will take care of their unvaccinated pets. Is the concern doggie autism? I'm assuming these pets are barred from care as a matter of course?

Everyday we stray further from god's light
i had at least 1 client who expressed concern over autism.

for many others there is distrust in what they do. They think vaccines are the cause of any bad in their dog/cat - like cancer (which can be associated, usually in cats), IMHA, etc.

they aren't barred from care. we just educate, educate, educate

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not in practice yet, but I know that a lot of anti-vac people don't vaccinate their pets for the same reason they don't vaccinate their children. They think it's going to do some sort of harm to them, not understanding that most modern injectable vaccines only contain harmless inactive viruses instead of active viruses, which can make you sick. Many people are also concerned about the mercury content of vaccines causing neurological issues, not understanding that mercury is now obsolete, that it is only present in trace amounts in veterinary vaccines, and a that trace amount of mercury isn't usually enough to cause problems (at least in dogs) unless the animal can't effectively eliminate it. They also don't understand that, although some natural remedies can boost the immune system and suppress symptoms, they cannot prevent illnesses nearly as well as a vaccines can. Plus, some natural remedies can be harmful, especially if they have plant allergies.

I believe the issue here is ignorance and lack of education about vaccines. If everyone knew about how far vaccines have come since their invention in the 1800s, they would probably be lining up to get them (pets, too).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it logically follows they'd use the same thinking for their pets. Are animal vaccinations / heartworm prophylaxis / etc effective enough that you don't worry about transmission between untreated and treated animals in clinic? Thanks for the replies

I guess it logically follows they'd use the same thinking for their pets. Are animal vaccinations / heartworm prophylaxis / etc effective enough that you don't worry about transmission between untreated and treated animals in clinic? Thanks for the replies
Yes, it would, as vaccines can also help reduce the exposure of unvaccinated people and animals to a given disease.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The efficacy of the vaccine varies with the disease being vaccinated against, because some diseases have multiple sub-types and not all are covered by the vaccine. Even then, no vaccine (not even a rabies vaccine) is 100% effective. Still, for the most part, an unvaccinated animal is pretty safe from picking up a serious disease in the clinic if all other animals in the clinic are vaccinated - but, of course, not all animals in the clinic are vaccinated, for various reasons.

A bigger concern for me is what that unvaccinated animal might transmit to the people in the clinic.