anxiety/temperament question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGachet

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having a discussion with a coworker/colleague and I was hoping someone could provide me with an article/book that provides definition for the following:

Social Phobia/Avoidant Personality Disorder, Introversion, Shyness, Sensitivity, Sociability

We were having a discussion about shyness and introversion and what is functional in Western society--which in my view, with emphasis on selling yourself and being confident/aggressive, is not a shy-friendly society though introverts can do just fine. But there was a breakdown in communication because we can't quite agree on definitions. I am not familiar with research in this area so some article recommendations or books are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't group Social Phobia and Avoidant PD together, they are quite different. If you want to learn more about the latter, I would suggest the Avoidant chapter in Disorders of Personality: DSM-IV and Beyond by Millon and Davis. Keep in mind though that Millon's personality conceputalization doesn't always line up with the DSM's.

Thanks guys. I'm at the university library today so I'll have a look at those two books.