Anxities, questions, and other random thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paulac

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, as you could probably have guessed from my e-mail address, I am a student at University of Mass, Amherst, currently enduring the truama of a hellacious week of final exams. Anyway, in an effort to take a break from my attempts to jam-pack my brain with as much info as possible, i came across this website and found it to be extremely helpful and interesting (well, actually all i read was part of the "at college" section of the page, but I do intend to look at all this in more detail, like tomorrow night once my nightmare exams are over. I am really hoping you could help me here..

First off, I am extremely apprehenive about my future and what it might entail. I have considered a future in Medicine since my junior year in high school, and was positive it was what i wanted to do with my life by the time senior year came around--mainly the result of the time i spent for honors society volunteering at a hosipital--an experiance that I wound up continuing doing for most of the summer working with Patient Relations. So my first year at U-Mass I didnt do horribly, but not nearly as good as I would have liked, and consequently, after a lot of work this semester, my GPA is just barely skimming a 3.5, (well i'm not positive of this, but I'm pretty sure thats where it will wind up after my finals and all...) I did alright my first semester, not great, but took 18 credits of the recommended courses for Pre-Meds. Then came Spring semester where i had the bright (hint, sarcasm) idea of becoming possibly an BFA Art (my other love in life which i missed dearly fall semester) major, doubling with Bio. However, somehow i did not quite realize how demanding and time consuming Art exactly was, struggling to pull off B's in the semester than pulled my GPA down a lot, 23 credits being too much for me, I realized too late...Anyway, my summer i spent touring the country with a drum and bugle corps, Boston Crusaders. It was far from a science-internship, as I practiced every single day for hours on end in the hot sun outside, but was absolutely the best summer of my life, and i still want to do it again this year. Okay, so on to my sophomore year--21 credits but 2 classes i decided to take without the prerequisites, yet worked my ass off in for A's (or what i expect will be A's...) While I'm now probably a semester behind most bio majors, i have 1 class to take left before I fufill the requirements for an art minor (i decided i'd rather shoot myself than be a major). After harassing my teachers all semester long about my grades and working my ass off, I think i've finally been able to redeem myself, and as i said before, my GPA should be a 3.4-something (cumlative) after this semester. After my winter break in which i will be working for Mass-Pirg, an envormental organization, I will return and battle with organic chem and more bio, and hopefully be able to get my GPA to the 3.5 level at least.

Sorry to bother you with all this--i really did not mean to type my whole life story, i just wanted to know if there is still hope i can even get into medical school at all. I know my advisors here seem iffy about it all, but i really am a hardworking individual (I just generally surpass the line of what I can do, doing way too much here with music, art and science stuff) Please be honest because i want to start looking for something to do with my life if there really is no hope of me getting in med-school. Alright, well i now have to return to studying for my last 2 finals, which start at 8 am tomorrow...If you do get a chance, please get email me. Thank you so much.

Paula

Members don't see this ad.

Paula,

Thanks for sharing your story. I think if you continue to improve, you will do fine. Also, taking a few upper division science courses later on like embryology, histology, zoology, etc. and doing well might really help your application!

Keep us posted!

------------------
"Every individual matters.
Every individual has a role to play.
Every individual makes a difference."
-Jane Goodall

Sounds to me like your doing allright at the moment. I would suggest you try to get your GPA up to a 3.5 but after that dont worry about it.

Personally, I think grades are not as important as everyone else implies. I have a 3.85, but I plan on throwing myself into more activities and taking more leadership roles until my GPA falls to about a 3.6. After that, I will know that I have hit my limit. I think as long as you have 3.5, then you should not worry about grades at all but instead work on other areas. I work at a hospital and plan to increase my hours there until my GPA just slightly starts to drop. That way, I will be maximizing my potential.

Remember, med schools aren't looking for stellar GPAs necessarily. Trust me, there are alot of people out there with 4.0's but if you look at entrance stats, the average GPA of admitted applicants is significantly below 4.0, so that should tell you something.

Keep your head up and work hard, and you'll be fine.

Heres my thought for the day:
Lim (GPA -> 0) (Engineering Major) = Business Major.

(just a shot out to all my business major friends)

------------------

Dear Paulac,
It sounds like you're on the right track. I know what it is like to obsess over grades, but as the other posters stated, just maintain your gpa and you definitely have a shot at med school. You mentioned that you were a hard worker, so I advise you to apply your work ethic for the MCAT and you're in great shape. Just remember to give yourself adequate preparation for this all-important test. You sound like a really dedicated individual with a lot to offer and that is exactly what admissions committee are looking for. They want people with varied interests who can give it their all.

Best of luck.