"Any additional comments" secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Beefy Lion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read other threads on this and had a specific question.

I was thinking of stating I wasn't aware of the pre-med club at my undergrad university that offers many shadowing and non clinical volunteering experiences. I have only 35 hrs shadowing and 50 hrs non clinical. If I state that I planned on joining this club and participating in these experiences my senior year would it be seen as an excuse or would it benefit my app?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't work like that, you can't list things you hope/plan to do, only what you've done. I wouldn't put that down in the additional comments 2ndary.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't write that, they'll then double check the areas you mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there was an "additional comments" area, I'd usually check the school thread to see what everyone else or what previously accepted people did.

Depending on what school it is the response could be a lot different. Some people use it to explain their "non-trad"ness, some use it as a "why this school/diversity" prompt, and some just leave it blank. E.g. I left boston's blank but I filled out Jefferson's.

I was thinking of stating I wasn't aware of the pre-med club at my undergrad university that offers many shadowing and non clinical volunteering experiences. I have only 35 hrs shadowing and 50 hrs non clinical. If I state that I planned on joining this club and participating in these experiences my senior year would it be seen as an excuse or would it benefit my app?
I think this would be seen as an excuse. I think adcoms would be thinking: "There are many other ways to get clinical experience than through a pre-med club."

I just wrote my diversity essay in there usually

Question on this... can I explain a major that I have if the title alone doesn't really convey what it is?

Question on this... can I explain a major that I have if the title alone doesn't really convey what it is?
That seems like a reasonable thing to put, like others have said, I am using the space for adversity/diversity/little bit of "why this school" if there isn't another prompt asking for these things.

I talked about state ties as an out-of-state applicant to a public institution.

A really bad excuse, and the impression you might convey is that you are lazy.