Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Any Advice for a (Potential) DO?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by goodb29, Feb 22, 2001.

1. goodb29

goodb29 Member
    10+ Year Member

I just wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice on becoming a D.O. Right now I work for a medical/science publishing company. I graduated in '99 with a degree in Chemistry and a 2.9 GPA. Is there anything that I can do to improve my chances on being accepted at a Osteopathic Medical School. I really prefer the hands-on, preventative medicine, and caring for the "whole person" philosophy that the Osteopathic degree offers. However, I feel that because my GPA is not that high that I may have already ruined my chances. Is there anything that I can do to improve my chances and distinguish myself from the other candidates? (I could probably use a little consolation too, lol) but any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my posting.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Go for a graduate degree and get nothing less than a B in any class. Or, you could attempt an allied health field, but you most likely will not get into PT or OT with a 2.9.
    My suggestion is to go to Grad School.
    By the way, medical school, regardless of DO or MD, attempts to teach the "whole person" philosophy. I have NEVER seen any MD disregard one system when treating another. I love your enthusiasm, but remember, both branches of medicine learn from each other, and neither branch holds a monopoly on "whole person, hands-on, patient care".

4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you don't feel like going the graduate route (which requires it's own set of applications, letters of reference, etc.) you can always just go get a another undergraduate degree. It's really not that difficult to do and you'd probably notice that school is much easier the second time around. Just do well and you GPA will go up accordingly.