Any advice for a re-applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hypomanics

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are quite a few people floating around out there in SDN who were able to get an EM spot after not initially matching the first time around. I'm wondering about things like SLORs - I had 2 this year, but assume they can't be re-used? I'll be doing an IM prelim, so I know that I'll get a letter from my PD, but of course that's not an SLOR. Ideally I'd like to do an early EM rotation in our ED, especially because there's an EM program at my hospital. However, my chiefs and PD think it may not be possible because the ED hasn't accepted IM interns in the past for some reason. Even if I do get this rotation (and in time), I still won't have 2 fresh SLORs that many programs request. Thoughts?

Any other advice is also welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

"Might not be possible"? That's bogus. That's bogus for a few reasons. First, there's no month in the ED for prelims? Sure, it's possible, but I never heard of that. Also, you should get at least 1 elective (if not, you got screwed on your prelim). Use that elective in the ED - there's no honest reason why you can't, especially because you want to be there. Most IM docs can't/don't want to work in the ED.

Also, is there another facility in the same health system where the EM residents work? That is an option where to rotate, too.

As for reusing the same SLOR, I don't even know.

"

As for reusing the same SLOR, I don't even know.

Unless there is some other obvious issue like you only applied to 6 programs, or you failed a 3rd year rotation, I'd be worried about using the same SLORs. Reapplying with the same scores and the same SLORs you are basically sending in the same application, not sure that having prelim experience helps. I know you are in a sucky situation, but I would assume that your SLORs aren't great and try to get at least one new, very positive SLOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless there is some other obvious issue like you only applied to 6 programs, or you failed a 3rd year rotation, I'd be worried about using the same SLORs. Reapplying with the same scores and the same SLORs you are basically sending in the same application, not sure that having prelim experience helps. I know you are in a sucky situation, but I would assume that your SLORs aren't great and try to get at least one new, very positive SLOR.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't my SLORs. I'm pretty sure it was that I failed step 1 on the first try (181-->205, step 2 225). I applied to something like 140 EM programs (almost all). I was told at a few interviews that my SLORs were good, but I guess who knows for sure.

It's really hard to overcome that score, but there's no changing it now!

"Might not be possible"? That's bogus. That's bogus for a few reasons. First, there's no month in the ED for prelims? Sure, it's possible, but I never heard of that. Also, you should get at least 1 elective (if not, you got screwed on your prelim). Use that elective in the ED - there's no honest reason why you can't, especially because you want to be there. Most IM docs can't/don't want to work in the ED.

Also, is there another facility in the same health system where the EM residents work? That is an option where to rotate, too.

Honestly, it made me feel like the IM program may not have a good relationship with the ED...but that's just speculation. They made it seem like the ED doesn't want new IM interns because they don't know how to use the system, etc. It just seemed kind of like a weak reason.

I'm sure they do have another facility where the EM residents work, but it's not on their website. I'll have to email around to find out.

Speaking of emailing, would it be out of line for me to go ahead and make contact with someone in the EM program and let them know I'm interested in doing an elective early? Or is that over stepping boundaries at this point?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't my SLORs. I'm pretty sure it was that I failed step 1 on the first try (181-->205, step 2 225). I applied to something like 140 EM programs (almost all). I was told at a few interviews that my SLORs were good, but I guess who knows for sure.

It's really hard to overcome that score, but there's no changing it now!

Are you an american graduate?

How many programs did you interview at?

Yes, I'm an American grad. I interviewed at 5 EM programs.