any advice is appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anthony78001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
This trend has been very helpful since I've found this site. I would appreciate any advice and/or tips. I am enrolling in an MCAT prep course this summer and plan on taking the MCAT late august. I will have my LOR before I graduate this April. I planned on submitting my AACOM app as early as possible, that way It will already be verified when my MCAT score comes in and it can just be added to the app. Is this a wise plan? Does AACOM submit the primary app to med schools without the MCAT score? Thank you very much for your help.

Some stats
3.32 science GPA
3.3 overall GPA
5 years of paid clinical experience in a hospital
2 semesters of research experience
Have shadowed numerous physicians, I've shadowed the physician writing the D.O LOR since 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

That's what I did. I submitted my primary but only selected one school in case I bombed the MCAT. Primary was verified, took the MCAT late July, added my MCAT score when I got it in early September and selected the rest of the schools. My stats are similar to yours and I got 7 ii's, applied to 11 schools. As long as you get a somewhat solid score you should be golden.

thank you very much for you advice. I was a lil concerned because I thought sept was a little late but I guess if I submit the primary in June, July I should be alright. Good luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah you should be fine. I actually didn't submit my primary until mid-July and it was still verified before I got my score back. By submitting in June you'll definitely be ahead of the pack. Good luck!

Edit: Just read that you're planning on taking the MCAT in late August...While that's not the kiss of death, is there any way for you to move that up? Even just a few weeks? That can make a big difference...

I'm using princeton reviews classroom prep and the class ends aug 20th. I tried enrolling in a different class that started earlier, but the only thing they have is the online version. I considered the option but I think I'd benefit from the classroom prep. If the primary gets verified before I get my score do you think I'll be alright even though my score wont come in until late sept? AACOM submits your primary after its been verified even with out the score correct?

Yes, AACOMAS will submit your verified primary to schools without an MCAT score. It's certainly not unheard of to take the MCAT that late but the risk is that if you end up getting a subpar score you'll have to wait and apply next year. Basically you're leaving yourself with a one-shot deal. I don't know what score you're aiming for, but I wouldn't sit the exam unless your AAMC's are consistently around your desired score (that's true for anyone, regardless of when they're taking it).
I did a test prep class as well and benefited from the group mentality of studying. I'd highly recommend it over an online course.

thanks for the advice. I'll keep both options in mind, I think I'll probably benefit from the classroom setting if I have any questions or anything. What school are you hoping to get accepted to?

I'll be attending KCUMB. Can't wait! Best of luck to you and feel free to ask if you have any more questions about the app process. I was completely clueless last year at this time and appreciated all of the advice I received on here. Oh, and just a tip that may benefit you: I learn well from books (MCAT review books) but found that I was able to take my understanding to the next level with videos. The Gold Standard has a nice set that helped me tie up my loose ends. My prep group and I wished we would have found these sooner. You've probably already heard of the Khan Academy on youtube but that guys explains physiology (as well as a bunch of other stuff) well, too.

thanks a lot ill def check those out they might even help with the classes im in now. Good luck with everything in KC. thanks for all your advice

Hello everyone
This trend has been very helpful since I've found this site. I would appreciate any advice and/or tips. I am enrolling in an MCAT prep course this summer and plan on taking the MCAT late august. I will have my LOR before I graduate this April. I planned on submitting my AACOM app as early as possible, that way It will already be verified when my MCAT score comes in and it can just be added to the app. Is this a wise plan? Does AACOM submit the primary app to med schools without the MCAT score? Thank you very much for your help.

Some stats
3.32 science GPA
3.3 overall GPA
5 years of paid clinical experience in a hospital
2 semesters of research experience
Have shadowed numerous physicians, I've shadowed the physician writing the D.O LOR since 2009.

Yes to submitting without score (or with score pending).

Another thing, unless you just worded it incorrectly, you will need multiple letters of rec. Be sure to check with the school you are applying to (usually stated on their webpage or on the CIB) for the number and types of letters required.

Good luck! With a decent MCAT you are looking good for DO. Must do well on MCAT...focus and perform!

thank you for the advice. I have three science lor and one non science. although most schools ask for two science letters im.assuming if the extra letter is great it won't hurt. What's the cib if you don'tmind me asking

thank you for the advice. I have three science lor and one non science. although most schools ask for two science letters im.assuming if the extra letter is great it won't hurt. What's the cib if you don'tmind me asking

CIB = college information book. has profiles with essential info on every DO school. free to use online. will make your secondaries MUCH easier to write. google it.