Any advice on my school selection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steeler7588

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, a brief summary of my application is included in my MDApps link. I'm looking for some advice on my current school selection.
- I've grown up in the Southeast, so I'm a little biased towards schools in the region. I'd definitely like to stay in the East.
- From what I understand, most schools incorporate at least a little PBL. I'd like it to be limited, though.
- I want to conduct research abroad in health disparities, access, etc. during medical school, so that'd be a huge plus if possible.

With that said, any advice on my currently selected schools? Any schools I should add or remove? Ideally, I'd apply to 10-12 schools total. If that sounds like a bad idea, let me know, but I'm pretty confident I can get into my state schools and wouldn't mind going to MUSC at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hate to bump this, but no thoughts? I ended up dropping UNC and Wake Forest, I'm pretty wary of the applications / interviews ratio for these schools. Georgetown is like that too, but I really like that school.

You need add some lower-stat schools. You have strong stats, but don't overestimate your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate to bump this, but no thoughts? I ended up dropping UNC and Wake Forest, I'm pretty wary of the applications / interviews ratio for these schools. Georgetown is like that too, but I really like that school.

u should trim UNC because its a public state school, however, you should NOT delete Wake Forest because they prefer regional state preference...i know 4-5 people who got accepted to wake this year who were from south carolina...just to keep in mind.

I would add 3 or so safeties. GW, Jeff, Temple, Penn State, NYMC, SLU, Drexel, Tulane, Creighton, MCW, VCU, etc.

Thanks for the advice. If I was from any other state, I'd definitely add more safeties, but I've talked with the admissions directors for my state schools and the selection process is set up so that it's very accommodating to in-state students, which helps keep my list of schools low.

For example, MUSC: They assign values to your application and interview, and then combine that with your MCAT and GPA to give you a score. If your score is higher than the average of the previous year's class, you get accepted pretty quickly. Essentially, for me to get rejected will mean that they think I have severe social flaws and I'm probably a psychopath haha.

I think I'll keep Wake Forest, and probably cut some of the NYC schools.

Thanks for the advice. If I was from any other state, I'd definitely add more safeties, but I've talked with the admissions directors for my state schools and the selection process is set up so that it's very accommodating to in-state students, which helps keep my list of schools low.

For example, MUSC: They assign values to your application and interview, and then combine that with your MCAT and GPA to give you a score. If your score is higher than the average of the previous year's class, you get accepted pretty quickly. Essentially, for me to get rejected will mean that they think I have severe social flaws and I'm probably a psychopath haha.

I'd still add at least 1 or 2 safeties just to be safe.

Congrats though. Sometimes it sucks being from CA.

Do what you want, but it's not smart to put all your eggs in one basket. Basically you have your proportions flipped. You want most of your schools to be be places at which you are very competitive with a couple of reaches, not mostly reaches with a couple safeties. Nothing is guaranteed in this process. Yes, you will be very competitive at MUSC, but you could easily be rejected.