Any advice on schools? pleaseee :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wind0angel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have 3.6 sGPA 3.7cGPA from Stony Brook University.
29 MCAT twice :( first time it was 9P 10 V 10 B this time it was 11P 9V 9B
Graduated with Chemistry BS degree, Magna Cum Laude

Volunteered in Stony Brook Hospital and did research in Stony Brook in High School - I'm not sure if I should put that in application.

Volunteered in veteran's home for 2 years,
Cancer research 2 years
chemistry TA 3 years
Shadowed Oncologist 8 hrs/week in May
Patient Care Assistant in a critical assess hospital in Pennsylvania- started job June 4th
Shadowed in Peds 8hrs/ week till now
Shadowed in Pain/Surgery 8hrs/week till now

VP and Secretary for 2 clubs and Illustrator for Phi Delta Epsilon

Deans List every semester
Full Scholarship

Any school suggestions on schools? Which school should I put as my safeties?

Thank you so much!!!:)

Taking MCAt twice and getting the same score kinda bummed me out. :(:(:(

Members don't see this ad.

You are good. Check out my mdapps. I have very similar stats and got interviews everywhere I applied. You are solid for every DO school in the nation (minus the regional preference).

You will do fine just like Frky said...

There's your boost of confidence that you were looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a NY resident? If so, you definitely have good enough stats for all of the SUNY's!!!

I would definitely take the SUNY's. But my volunteering isn't strong because I really loved the research I was doing and did research over summer and during the semester. I only volunteered in the veteran's home (1hr/wk) through my honor society and stopped after I found my research. I'm trying to boost up my chance by getting a job at a hospital but it started in June and I'm nervous about how much it will help me when they look at my application.

Should I even bother apply to better schools like NYU? Do you think they would just throw my application out because of the 29 MCAT twice?

I have all schools in NY that has MCAT range of 29-?? on MSAR listed as possible schools to apply to.

My response will be limited (on my phone), but NYU would be the "lower tier" school in Manhattan, so I suppose it is worth a shot if you can afford spending the extra bucks. However, you would really need to stand out for them considering your MCAT. MUCH crazier things have happened though. I would advise you apply to Einstein. It is "less" prestigeous than NYU, but still awesome, and I think you would have a good shot. (a buddy of mine in residency finished Einstein right after Cornell, has a high 3.7 and a 29. It did help that he had some one put in a call for him though... So....utilize your networks wisely). Aside from that, PSU seems pretty OOS friendly. UMDNJ, not so much. If you are a good fit (you are, stats wise) for schools like GW and Drexel, then definitely apply there. Lets not forget. NYMC + all the SUNY's, and places such as Jefferson, and a few schools in Connecticut/Boston area (Tufts, Temple - don't bother with BU).

Your EC's in general appear worthy, and decently strong. Especially the way you present the volunteering as "two years". The research is real nice, and being a TA is not such a big joke either. don't undersell yourself. You didn't cure the common cold in South America, but you still dedicated a wealth of your time on things that can only reinforce your application.

Are you a girl? Are you URM? If so, you are in an even better position!