Any Advice? Unique Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usneam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From my UG school, only a certain number of people are allowed to go to medical school each year; it's a separate application process in and of itself. We don't hear the results until the middle of September. I got a 25 on both of my MCATs, same break down - 8/9/8, so I'm fairly certain I won't get the permission to go to med school (if I can even get in anywhere).

I need to decide if I should keep paying to submit primary/secondary applications in the off-chance that I get selected from my school to go to med school.

Any advice on what to do, what schools I should apply, or where I might stand a chance getting into would be greatly appreciated.

Some info:

3.94 Non Science GPA
3.76 Cumulative GPA

25R (PS 8, VR 9, BS 8, WS R)

Worked in a hospital for a year cleaning operating rooms.
Tons of leadership experiences.
Medical Internship for a month this summer
Division I XC/Track
Triathlon All-American
Active Member of school's community service group
Tutor/review leader for chemistry courses
Lots of written/ranked evaluations that are all very good

Members don't see this ad.

How can they tell you that you are not allowed to go? you sound like a good DO fit. Don't get your committee letter, get your own letters individually and go for it yourself.

That's why its a unique situation. I will be assigned elsewhere for a few years if I don't get one of the spots for medical school. So I'm in limbo as to whether or not I should keep working hard on applications and paying the fees if I might not a) get in and b) be allowed to go even if i got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
unless you for some reason signed something legally binding, just apply to med school

Haha. It's a school in the US. I'm from PA but go to school out of state. In a way, I kind of signed something that says the school decides what I do. I just don't even know where I might get in if I continue applying.

if you did sign something legally binding, maybe apply to a special masters program and apply from there next year?

This sounds absurd. What kind of authoritarian school is this?

This sounds absurd. What kind of authoritarian school is this?

Agreed? This isn't the USSR. You are allowed to do whatever it is that you want with your life if you work your way to get there.

It's military. I would be given a different service assignment if I don't get the med school spot, and I would have to wait probably about 3 years to try again.

Yeah wtf is that? I have never heard of such a thing. You're the one paying the tuition and suffering through whatever miserable gen ed courses they are tossing at you... what school is this? I am in the fighting mood right now

Do you guys live under a rock? He's either at an Academy or inROTC. I wouldn't bother applying at all. Their needs come first and sending you to medical school, that your scores don't suggest you will even get into, when they own you for the next several years is extremely unlikely.
That said, figure out a plan to fix your MCAT and they may be interested in a couple years.

ok. You should have said military in the first place. Now it doesn't seem like you go to some crazy undergrad run by Nazi germany. If you signed on for military service, then you can't really get out of it. Just wait until you are out of the military to apply!

Well there's ten spots to go to med school. My applications are already underway. We don't find out who gets the ten spots for a couple more weeks. Do I keep applying in the off chance I get one of the ten spots?

Honestly, late August/Early September is probably pushing it. I would wait.