DO Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for most schools. GPA is above average, but your MCAT is below by 2-3 points...but still within the standard deviation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed a DO physician (internal medicine). I didn't really notice much difference in the practices. I know the general DO mindset, and I plan to do some research before any interviews take place. I know, with my MCAT, that I should be primarily looking at DO schools. I am just wanting to be a doctor, whether it is an MD or DO. What schools should I look at applying to? Should I apply broadly? I am really not wanting to take the MCAT again, especially since it has changed. Any input would be appreciated!

I think other posters covered pretty much what you want. If your sole purpose is to become a doctor and you do not have preference for MD/DO, with your stats I believe you would be considered average applicant as an MCAT point of view but in GPA's perspective puts you in a better position than most. While this may be the case, based on what the posts that I read regarding DO schools, even though many applicants do get in with 24-26 you have a better chance to getting into higher ranked DO schools with scores that are in upper 20s. I am not suggesting that you have no chance, rather saying that with your current MCAT score, it may not be to your advantage.

Just a food for thought here, new MCAT is very daunting especially with 2 new sections that you probably would dread on studying for again.. HOWEVER, given the field that you are trying to get into where standardized testings will determine where you would do your residency, and continue to have your licence I would consider studying for the new MCAT in hopes of bettering your chances of getting into medical school - whether it be for DO/MD.

Best of luck to you.