AceGirl

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
I'm thinking about career in ophthy, but I'm concerned about my PVD (a couple of floaters at this point). Any advice if I should stay away from the field because of this?

eyedr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
I'm thinking about career in ophthy, but I'm concerned about my PVD (a couple of floaters at this point). Any advice if I should stay away from the field because of this?

If its soley an uncomplicated PVD, there is no reason to stay away from ophthalmology. Floaters are all too common. Once the PVD is fully evolved (~ 3 months from onset of symptoms) ones' risk for complications such as a retinal tear, hemorrhage, mac pucker drops to almost nil and your floaters are not likely to change significantly unless new unrelated problems arise.

Stereopsis is the most important with best corrected visual acuity of 20/20.

So how did you get a PVD in the first place at such a young age? Trauma?

AceGirl

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
No hx of trauma. The floaters seemed to come on gradually in the eye with a high degree of myopia.

eyedr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
No hx of trauma. The floaters seemed to come on gradually in the eye with a high degree of myopia.

You should also ask this question to your ophthalmologist since he has examined your eyes already as well as be tested for steropsis while you're at it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.