Quantcast

Any advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AceGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm thinking about career in ophthy, but I'm concerned about my PVD (a couple of floaters at this point). Any advice if I should stay away from the field because of this?

eyedr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about career in ophthy, but I'm concerned about my PVD (a couple of floaters at this point). Any advice if I should stay away from the field because of this?

If its soley an uncomplicated PVD, there is no reason to stay away from ophthalmology. Floaters are all too common. Once the PVD is fully evolved (~ 3 months from onset of symptoms) ones' risk for complications such as a retinal tear, hemorrhage, mac pucker drops to almost nil and your floaters are not likely to change significantly unless new unrelated problems arise.

Stereopsis is the most important with best corrected visual acuity of 20/20.

So how did you get a PVD in the first place at such a young age? Trauma?

AceGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No hx of trauma. The floaters seemed to come on gradually in the eye with a high degree of myopia.

eyedr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
No hx of trauma. The floaters seemed to come on gradually in the eye with a high degree of myopia.

You should also ask this question to your ophthalmologist since he has examined your eyes already as well as be tested for steropsis while you're at it.