Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benoir

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will start studying for the DAT on May 28, and I would like to make a 21 or higher.

I'll try and focus on Math and English first, and I'll start working on the PAT near the end of the summer. Over the fall and winter I'll study the sciences, while reviewing the others periodically. In the spring of next year, I'm going to start the 20-30 hour a week schedule until the exam.

What study materials would you recommend? Kaplan, Achiever, Top Score Destroyer, and/or anything else?
I have 2 uncles and 3 cousins that are dentists or in dental shool. Is there anything I should ask them to help me with?

Members don't see this ad.

I will start studying for the DAT on May 28, and I would like to make a 21 or higher.

I'll try and focus on Math and English first, and I'll start working on the PAT near the end of the summer. Over the fall and winter I'll study the sciences, while reviewing the others periodically. In the spring of next year, I'm going to start the 20-30 hour a week schedule until the exam.

What study materials would you recommend? Kaplan, Achiever, Top Score Destroyer, and/or anything else?
I have 2 uncles and 3 cousins that are dentists or in dental shool. Is there anything I should ask them to help me with?

dude, that is wayyy overkill IMO. many/most people spend a good 6 weeks over the summer with no other obligations and many score 21+

all of the study materials you listed above are great...start with Kaplan, constantly test your progress with achiever/topscore, and towards the end of your studying tackle the destroyer and you should be good to go. just note that achiever and topscore expire after a few months (6 months i think?), so plan accordingly.

gluck

What study materials would you recommend? Kaplan, Achiever, Top Score Destroyer, and/or anything else? I have 2 uncles and 3 cousins that are dentists or in dental shool. Is there anything I should ask them to help me with?

yea, that is way too much studying. you should only need a month of quality studying to do well.

I don't intend to study 15+ hours a week for that many months. I'm mostly going to be gathering materials and taking notes.

My gpa will be around 3.2 overall and 3.3 science (goofing off first year), and I need to have 3-4 options of schools.

Thank you for your input on Achiever/Top Score.

Are there any textbooks that you found particularly helpful?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any textbooks that you found particularly helpful?[/quote]

Schaum's Outline of Biology.:cool:
Kaplan book is not enough.

Good luck!!!
:luck:

As has been mentioned, your time frame seems a bit overkill, but if you have the time then certainly all of that studying will not hurt you. A good slolid 3 months of studying a few hours each day with an increase in study time the last few weeks should be plenty in my opinion. Kaplan should be used to give you your main foundation. It is good for most sections, but you will want to use something like Schaum's Outline of Biology as kaplan's bio is a little weak. If you find you need additional help with the PAT section, Barron's guide is helpful. I would say you don't need all of the resources you listed, but they are all good. Start with Kaplan and Schaum's. Then move to Achiever, Topscore or Destroyer when you feel you have prepared enough from those first two and add Barron's for the PAT section if you need extra help. Good luck.

* Kaplan Blue book
* Schaum's Outline of Biology

Oh yeah, and as for your relatives who are dentists, use them to get plenty of shadowing experience during the next year. You may also want to shadow with a non-relative to get a different persepective, but definitly use them. Also, if you are planning on applying to any of the schools where one of your relatives is currently attending, they may be able to give you a tour of their school and also give you advice on the application/interview process.