Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walcrawl12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my mcat scores earlier today. It was my third time taking it, first time in august '05 PS-10, VR-8, BS-8 Total 26O, 2nd time april 06 PS-10, VR-7, BS-8, Total 25O, Finally third time taking april 07, PS-10, VR-9, BS-11 Totaly 30R.... I had a huge increase and I'm wondering how competitve people think I will be. I have an acceptance into a DO school, which I have deferred until 08, but I'm really looking to get into an MD school. I am a resident of Illinois, 3.65 gpa overall and 3.67 science gpa, lots of volunteer and clinical experience, do i have a realistic chance of getting into an MD school, or does taking it the third time hurt me too much... Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my mcat scores earlier today. It was my third time taking it, first time in august '05 PS-10, VR-8, BS-8 Total 26O, 2nd time april 06 PS-10, VR-7, BS-8, Total 25O, Finally third time taking april 07, PS-10, VR-9, BS-11 Totaly 30R.... I had a huge increase and I'm wondering how competitve people think I will be. I have an acceptance into a DO school, which I have deferred until 08, but I'm really looking to get into an MD school. I am a resident of Illinois, 3.65 gpa overall and 3.67 science gpa, lots of volunteer and clinical experience, do i have a realistic chance of getting into an MD school, or does taking it the third time hurt me too much... Thanks!!!

first of all congrats on the 30!!! well one thing that you have to be aware of is that the amcas app asks if you have been accepted into other medical schools. in your case you would have to say yes and i am not sure how md schools would look at that. in my state of tx i know of one applicant who got accepted into Do schoo then declined it b/c she wanted md schoo. now md school deans are telling her that shes been blacklisted b/c she rejected the DO school. again, i heard this second hand and am not sure how true this is, but id definetly say its bests that you ask your advisor or email as many md school deans as possible and ask their opinions( ive actually emailed many deans and admissions officers and have recieved alot of good feedback). so basically im saying to check to see if how rejecting the DO would look to md schools before you decline....good luck