Any Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrNew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 25 years old who has BS in Business Management. I have always had interest in medical field, but I never decided to purse it for many reason. During my time college, I spend partying and haning out with friends.

I am very serious at this point in returning to school and finishing up pre-req. I have never been to school in 5 years.

Q: What type of course do I require ?

Q: When is best time to take MCAT ? Before or after O-Chem.

Q: Can I start taking few class at CC college to get used to school and take rest at 4 year College ?

any advice will help.

Thanks

merc

Members don't see this ad.

You can find this on any medical program's main admissions page - 8 semester hours biology w/labs, 8 semester hours inorganic chemistry w/ labs, 8 semester hours physics w/ labs, and 8 semester hours o-chem w/ labs. These all must be in the upper level courses as well, general intro courses will not fulfill the requirements.
It is generally recommended to take a biochem and/or genetics course, and mammalian physiology and/or anatomy, at least at my undergrad school they recommended these.

After or towards the end of o-chem II.

Q: Can I start taking few class at CC college to get used to school and take rest at 4 year College ?

Not sure, did all mine at 4 year, maybe someone else can chime in here.

The Med-Schools that I would like to apply to require them to be at a 4-yr institution. The English and Humanities are fine to take at a cc, but they stressed the sciences and math to be taken at the 4 year. I would suggest contacting the schools you are interested in and go from there. You will find a wealth of information on this forum. If you need to find anything in particular look around here.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Med-Schools that I would like to apply to require them to be at a 4-yr institution. The English and Humanities are fine to take at a cc, but they stressed the sciences and math to be taken at the 4 year. I would suggest contacting the schools you are interested in and go from there. You will find a wealth of information on this forum. If you need to find anything in particular look around here.

I wish to apply to Midwestern in AZ, and they mention any college or university is consider.

thanks

You can find this on any medical program's main admissions page - 8 semester hours biology w/labs, 8 semester hours inorganic chemistry w/ labs, 8 semester hours physics w/ labs, and 8 semester hours o-chem w/ labs. These all must be in the upper level courses as well, general intro courses will not fulfill the requirements.
It is generally recommended to take a biochem and/or genetics course, and mammalian physiology and/or anatomy, at least at my undergrad school they recommended these.

After or towards the end of o-chem II.

Not sure, did all mine at 4 year, maybe someone else can chime in here.

# hrs in the top response is generally correct, only 3 clarifications are

1) classes like "bio for non biology majors" would either be frowned upon or not accepted, (take Biology 1 and Biology 2 and labs instead)

2) the 8 hrs do not need to be upper level hours, although it helped me greatly to have a few additional upper level classes, technically these are not required by most schools (requirements vary slightly) and

3) English classes (2-3 typically) are generally also required; buy or read the "MSAR" for more school specific info.

# hrs in the top response is generally correct, only 3 clarifications are

1) classes like "bio for non biology majors" would either be frowned upon or not accepted, (take Biology 1 and Biology 2 and labs instead)

2) the 8 hrs do not need to be upper level hours, although it helped me greatly to have a few additional upper level classes, technically these are not required by most schools (requirements vary slightly) and

3) English classes (2-3 typically) are generally also required; buy or read the "MSAR" for more school specific info.

I already have BS in Business Management from College. I have taken english class previously.

The only things required are pre-reqs science class.

Can I take

Chem 1, Bio 1, both with labs at CC college and take the rest at university.

The reason i am leaning towards CC college currently is due to financial reasons and getting hang of things.

Any suggestion ?

I already have BS in Business Management from College. I have taken english class previously.

Can I take

The reason i am leaning towards CC college currently is due to financial reasons and getting hang of things.

Any suggestion ?

I do not "think" it would hurt you, IF you do well on your MCAT. therefore, if I were you, I would take your entry level chem 1, physics 1, bio 1 (all w/labs) at CC, then take ochem and chem 2, phy 2 and then add in a biochem and/or genetics at 4yr. If you did all of them at CC and then did Ochem, biochem and genetics at 4 yr, I think that would be fine too.

There are many options and ways to do it. Really, just some Risk managment. A little more risk at the CC, but better for you financially and GPA wise, more than likely.

It all depends on the CC. If the CC is of good reputation and has one of placing people in med schools, go for it.

I took all of mine at a CC and am now a 4th year med student at an MD program. But, my CC had a great reputation.

Looks like you have some homework to do.
Planning and action within the plan are key to the whole process. No move is not calculated, planned and executed with the precision of a sniper! Everything! What courses, what teachers, what time of the day, when to study, who to get LORs from, how you write your app, who previews every word you write in your app, where to spend your volunteer time. Everything matters. Then, when you get rejected the first time (like I did), put everything you have into making yourself even stronger, all your LORs stronger, everything gone thru with a fine comb, show them you will not give up and are willing to sacrifice to make it happen!

Think logically, think in process, think big picture and be able to put the pieces together. This is a thinking exam. Show them how you think!

Last edited:

Can I take

Any suggestion ?

I took both Bio and Chem I at a CC, and then transferred to a Cal State to finish everything else. I would recommend making sure to plan on transferring eventually, after the semester at CC.