Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Snowflake10

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm a senior in college and I graduate this coming May. I want to apply to dental school, but I know my application is weak.. I have already taken the DAT once and made a 17. My gpa is very low as well - (3.0). I am currently shadowing a dentist, and planning on retaking the DAT in April or May.

I guess my question is.. if I make a decent score on my DAT, and apply this year, would I just be fooling myself? or should I take the chance and see if I get anything? Would it be wiser of me to wait off a year, and apply next year?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you pulla 4.0 this semester ur science will be around a 2.95+ if your lucky, a 3 depending on how many classes. Your cgpa will be around a 3.1 hopefuly.
If you nail the dat (20+) you should have a shot from what im seeing. Aim for 22+ tho.
 
If you pulla 4.0 this semester ur science will be around a 2.95+ if your lucky, a 3 depending on how many classes. Your cgpa will be around a 3.1 hopefuly.
If you nail the dat (20+) you should have a shot from what im seeing. Aim for 22+ tho.

I agree... your best shot is to get a 4.0 this semester. You really need to pull your grades up. If it serves as motivation for you, just remember that your entire career as a dentist depends entirely on how well you do in your classes for the next 3-4 months.

Also, get some sort of DAT preparation materials. While it's very hard to recover from a poor GPA this far into school, it's relatively easy to recover from a low DAT score. You take the DAT, do well, and your new score replaces your old one. Get some review books/ Crack the DAT, whatever... a good DAT score will even help to compensate for a low GPA.

Best of luck!