Any and All feedback is appreciated...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jkeegan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated from a top 50 school this past year with a 3.88 Science GPA, 3.93 overall GPA. Research experience with one publication so far and hopefully more to come before I apply in the upcoming cycle (currently a lab technician at Northwestern). Got a 32M on MCAT (10VR, 10PS, 12BS) which I was fairly disappointed in. Have about 50 hours of volunteer work in a cancer center and spent 2 weeks volunteering in a clinic in Haiti. Have in-state residency in WI and will have residency in IL by the time I apply. Feel like I have a solid shot at both Wisconsin schools (MCW and UW) as well as a few in IL, but thinking my MCAT will eliminate me from most top tier schools in the Midwest and beyond. I'm currently going back and forth as to whether I should retake the MCAT or just apply with my score and see what happens. Will my low writing score (M) affect my chances much? Also, how many volunteer hours should I try and add before I apply? Any other things I should try and add to my resume before I apply? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Graduated from a top 50 school this past year with a 3.88 Science GPA, 3.93 overall GPA. Research experience with one publication so far and hopefully more to come before I apply in the upcoming cycle (currently a lab technician at Northwestern). Got a 32M on MCAT (10VR, 10PS, 12BS) which I was fairly disappointed in. Have about 50 hours of volunteer work in a cancer center and spent 2 weeks volunteering in a clinic in Haiti. Have in-state residency in WI and will have residency in IL by the time I apply. Feel like I have a solid shot at both Wisconsin schools (MCW and UW) as well as a few in IL, but thinking my MCAT will eliminate me from most top tier schools in the Midwest and beyond. I'm currently going back and forth as to whether I should retake the MCAT or just apply with my score and see what happens.
1) Will my low writing score (M) affect my chances much?
2) Also, how many volunteer hours should I try and add before I apply? Any other things I should try and add to my resume before I apply?
1) No.

2) I'd suggest 3-4 hours per week until you apply and possibly after as well (for the sake of update letters). About 150 hours over 1.5 years is average.

3) Nonmedical community service (also continued through the application season), teaching, leadership, hobbies and artistic endeavors (uniqueness gives extra points). Publications and posters/presentations are also good to have if possible.