Any Aspen Dentists out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey all—

Wanted to know what it’s like it was like for you if you worked for Aspen as a dentist.

I had an interview and wanted to know a bit more about their “no contract” terms of employment, what happens if you terminate employment, their daily rate guarantee, CE for implants/endo/etc. and any other ideas or experiences you may have had.

Please refrain from snide comments or judgments.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would love to hear from Aspen dentists also!

Hyg gets production for SRP and Arestin. They tend to probe 2-3 mm deeper. I know I got a Board Complaint from a pt who had normal probings from a private clinic. Dentists don't last long there. My 2 predecessors only lasted 6 months. At one point, there were 12 pts waiting on me (I was the only dentist). There were always Board Complaints. Most were directed at my predecessors but in my name. I would find a back up gig and never buy the clinic. You will get very good with Dentures. It will be easy production. You will get paid a minimum. When you take the day off, your replacement will get paid the same as you. That replacement may not do extractions and RCTs. My replacement was sitting in the break room with hardly any pts and the next day, I was doing 7 filling pts that she could have done as well as my FM extractions and RCTs. That was when I knew I need to get out of there.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hyg gets production for SRP and Arestin. They tend to probe 2-3 mm deeper. I know I got a Board Complaint from a pt who had normal probings from a private clinic. Dentists don't last long there. My 2 predecessors only lasted 6 months. At one point, there were 12 pts waiting on me (I was the only dentist). There were always Board Complaints. Most were directed at my predecessors but in my name. I would find a back up gig and never buy the clinic. You will get very good with Dentures. It will be easy production. You will get paid a minimum. When you take the day off, your replacement will get paid the same as you. That replacement may not do extractions and RCTs. My replacement was sitting in the break room with hardly any pts and the next day, I was doing 7 filling pts that she could have done as well as my FM extractions and RCTs. That was when I knew I need to get out of there.

Thanks for the honesty. I hear dentists don’t work on contracts. You have any ideas about that?

Sorry, I don't remember. Each location would be either corporate owned or privately owned. Some owners have multiple locations. My location was constantly losing money such as franchise fees, marketing fees, etc. The previous owner sold it back to corporate. IMO, get some experience with dentures and find a better job. However, if you like it great. There is nothing wrong with working there. I was there for 8 months but I'm not supporting the free loader of a dentist that covers for me.

Reactions: 3 users
I've heard it varies especially by location. I graduated in 2016 and some of my classmates became Aspen dental practice owners. I'm not entirely sure what that means. I'm sure as owners they make a hell alot of money.

Reactions: 1 users
I just received an offer letter from aspen. They are offering me about 600/day.
They keep stating their offer is non binding does any one have experience with this? I don't want to sign an offer and then have issues leaving if I find something better.

They keep stating their offer is non binding does any one have experience with this? I don't want to sign an offer and then have issues leaving if I find something better.
Where is the location? You can DM me if you prefer.

Non-binding means “subject to other terms”. Which also means, you will only get the $$ in the offer if you meet production goals and other obligations.

DSOs are sharks in the water. Approach with caution.

bcdd3ccb16bda93ba0fb3312da81ecac.jpg

Last edited:
What’s also the catch on their student loan repayment program? I saw on their website they advertise upwards to $200,000...

What’s also the catch on their student loan repayment program? I saw on their website they advertise upwards to $200,000...

That’s pegged to the dentist performance. You check all the boxes as a hard working dentist, which is near impossible to do for new dentists, you get the $200k+ in student repayment.

did 2 years hard labor at Aspen. One major positive is that I got much faster and better at time management, and I got a lot of exo and denture experience. But, 5 days a week and some saturdays going balls to the wall is just killer and most dentists just burn out. Plus you constantly deal with people complaining or thinking that you're the walmart of dentistry. Patients don't always see the people in the office, they just see the corporation, and therefore they feel like they can treat you like **** if they want. You can make good money working there, but you gotta work for it.

Reactions: 3 users
did 2 years hard labor at Aspen. One major positive is that I got much faster and better at time management, and I got a lot of exo and denture experience. But, 5 days a week and some saturdays going balls to the wall is just killer and most dentists just burn out. Plus you constantly deal with people complaining or thinking that you're the walmart of dentistry. Patients don't always see the people in the office, they just see the corporation, and therefore they feel like they can treat you like **** if they want. You can make good money working there, but you gotta work for it.

That's FQHC dentistry in a nutshell. It's just nonprofit corporate dentistry. Had a patient storm out of the office a few months ago and threaten to call the news because she was going to have to PAY for part of her balance for RPD/RPD. Anyway, she showed up today asking if we'd still make her partials. I said no. Go to Aspen.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're fortunate you didn't get any Board complaints. While I was there for 8 mos, I received 5, 4 meant for my predecessors and one for me as stated above. Back then it was paper charting and it sucked because I can type faster than I write with copying and pasting templates. Sending missing documents to the Board was terrible but fortunately they slapped me with "Letter of Concern." The Board Investigator told me he was glad I left there.

That's FQHC dentistry in a nutshell. It's just nonprofit corporate dentistry. Had a patient storm out of the office a few months ago and threaten to call the news because she was going to have to PAY for part of her balance for RPD/RPD. Anyway, she showed up today asking if we'd still make her partials. I said no. Go to Aspen.
My experience with FQHC was very different from my Aspen experience. I guess every office is different.

i did 12 months with aspen. you will get really good with extractions which i appreciate now. i got burned out and hated my life for months, contract is easy to get out of but they might let you go sooner than whatever notice you give. aspen owners make big $$ off of new grads so if youre going to do it plan to leave 6-12mo later and find something better

Hey all—

Wanted to know what it’s like it was like for you if you worked for Aspen as a dentist.

I had an interview and wanted to know a bit more about their “no contract” terms of employment, what happens if you terminate employment, their daily rate guarantee, CE for implants/endo/etc. and any other ideas or experiences you may have had.

Thanks!

I have worked for them for a bit. My experienced was mixed. I'll share some data soon and anyone may message me with questions

There is a recent financial statement for your information

Hi, here are some recent financials from Aspen. Let me know if you have any questions

Attachments

• Proft share aspen 2021.pdf
    172.5 KB · Views: 244
Where is the location? You can DM me if you prefer.
Hi, here are some recent financials from Aspen. Let me know if you have any questions

Attachments

172.5 KB · Views: 118

Attachments

172.5 KB · Views: 133
Here are some POP earning numbers for those who are interested.
This would be the gross earning potential for 20 or so practices.

Attachments

• 2020.png
    2020.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 314
  • practice list.png
    practice list.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 301
So update: 8 months in at Aspen and here’s my thoughts—

1. Workload and hours are crazy.
DAs I work with are loyal and want to do a good job, but they get burned out and start looking for something with better hrs and better pay. Five days a week doing full mouth exts, seeing tons of new patients in need of advanced prosthodontic work is exhausting.

2. Pay could be better.
Depending upon how much your office produces in a month, you can see how much opportunity would be in earning a percentage of collections would be. However, Aspen has a large presence, so they’re able to draw in those patients. 600-700 dollars a day for a brand new grad TBH is actually worth it if you’re learning with an MCD who has good intentions for patient care.

3. Daily rate is important for new grads.
Aspen has allowed me to become efficient with time and tx planning. So while learning so, a daily rate has allowed me to not stress out over getting paid while building those skills.

4. Aspen makes money off cheap labor.
There’s no way that I’ll be able to keep up the production they want from their dentists long term. Most Aspen docs realize they could do better elsewhere and end up either leaving for another DSO or open their own offices. Therefore, the model works if only you have a new grad that doesnt see what they’d have to produce to earn a minimum draw of $600-$700 a day.

5. CE is pretty decent.
I’ve taken advantage of implant CE, which has allowed me to better understand treatment planning cases even if I do or don’t decide to place my own at Aspen.

6. To me, Aspen works for 1-2 years. Afterwards, it’s not fun anymore.
Not sure if I’ll be eating my words here in the future, but the model that Bob Fontana has set up is lucrative. But, not sure if it’s beneficial for an owner or an MCD long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
So update: 8 months in at Aspen and here’s my thoughts—

1. Workload and hours are crazy.
DAs I work with are loyal and want to do a good job, but they get burned out and start looking for something with better hrs and better pay. Five days a week doing full mouth exts, seeing tons of new patients in need of advanced prosthodontic work is exhausting.

2. Pay could be better.
Depending upon how much your office produces in a month, you can see how much opportunity would be in earning a percentage of collections would be. However, Aspen has a large presence, so they’re able to draw in those patients. 600-700 dollars a day for a brand new grad TBH is actually worth it if you’re learning with an MCD who has good intentions for patient care.

3. Daily rate is important for new grads.
Aspen has allowed me to become efficient with time and tx planning. So while learning so, a daily rate has allowed me to not stress out over getting paid while building those skills.

4. Aspen makes money off cheap labor.
There’s no way that I’ll be able to keep up the production they want from their dentists long term. Most Aspen docs realize they could do better elsewhere and end up either leaving for another DSO or open their own offices. Therefore, the model works if only you have a new grad that doesnt see what they’d have to produce to earn a minimum draw of $600-$700 a day.

5. CE is pretty decent.
I’ve taken advantage of implant CE, which has allowed me to better understand treatment planning cases even if I do or don’t decide to place my own at Aspen.

6. To me, Aspen works for 1-2 years. Afterwards, it’s not fun anymore.
Not sure if I’ll be eating my words here in the future, but the model that Bob Fontana has set up is lucrative. But, not sure if it’s beneficial if you’re either an owner or an MCD

Have you been earning a percentage of collections above the $600-700 daily guarantee?

Hey all—

Thanks!
Aspen is all about serving the OWNER! you and your coworker dentists (associates and MCDs) will be used as pawns to do so. Look at the numbers and you will understand. One more thing, patient satisfaction is also a way to cut down on your payment and give it to the owner. Good luck!