Any attendings doing inpatient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Paddington

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had some questions regarding inpatient rehabilitation in private practice or employed practice that I was hoping some of our respected colleagues here could answer.

In residency, the patients were seen 7 days a week. I've always been told that really they are only required to be seen 3 days a week, and perhaps even the payors only want you seeing them no more than that. But due to sicker patients and abundance of manpower they were seen all 7 days in residency.

How is it typically in the community though? One company I talked to which has some rehab hospitals said their docs round 3 days a week on each patient. Another rehab hospital stated explicitly though that they want the patients seen all 7 days. Is rounding on weekends the norm?

Also, without a medical director stipend or some other additional financial support, (i.e. you're working for collections alone) is inpatient rehabilitation economically worthwhile, vs general outpatient PM&R?