Any benefit in doing a virtual away at a program I like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathNeuroIMorFM

Reaction score
Asked an adjact question about which program to pick, but I was wondering if there was any point in doing a virtual away rotation/subI?

Seems kind of useless, but might also be a cheap and efficient way to show interest in a program.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree, it generally seems useless. If you want to do it after ERAS but before interviews start, I suppose as you said it's a cheap way to get some facetime, but I would not waste one of the prime pre-ERAS rotation spots on a virtual rotation. Which honestly shouldn't be a thing anymore this far along into the COVID era.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree, it generally seems useless. If you want to do it after ERAS but before interviews start, I suppose as you said it's a cheap way to get some facetime, but I would not waste one of the prime pre-ERAS rotation spots on a virtual rotation. Which honestly shouldn't be a thing anymore this far along into the COVID era.

I think there’s a pathology virtual rotation that’s been pretty well liked, so they’ve kept it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actual away >>>>>> virtual away >>>>>>> no away.

Actuall>>>>>>virual away = no away
Virtual and no away are not equal, even though virtual aways are nowhere close to actual aways. In competitive specialties, we use virtual aways as a mechanism to screen applicants for interest too. It's very hard to make a case for why you want to be at a program (highly competitive specialties) if you didn't do an away there and didn't elect to do a virtual away that was available to you with minimal effort.

Bro my program scoffs at anyone who does a light away rotation, let alone a “virtual” one. They say “why bother coming here if you don’t want us to see what you’re made of?” Only the heavy clinical ones help applicants. Especially so if you’re a weaker applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Bro my program scoffs at anyone who does a light away rotation, let alone a “virtual” one. They say “why bother coming here if you don’t want us to see what you’re made of?” Only the heavy clinical ones help applicants.
Well I do think it somewhat depends how competitive/accessible a "real" away rotation is, if virtual was all they could get that isn't their fault. But OP you should consider this--if you could reasonably get an in person away and you chose instead to do a virtual one, that could backfire if the program takes it as a sign that you want to get your foot in the door but are too scared to actually put yourself out there. May not be the case, given the expense of doing an away... but that could be the perception.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I do think it somewhat depends how competitive/accessible a "real" away rotation is, if virtual was all they could get that isn't their fault. But OP you should consider this--if you could reasonably get an in person away and you chose instead to do a virtual one, that could backfire if the program takes it as a sign that you want to get your foot in the door but are too scared to actually put yourself out there. May not be the case, given the expense of doing an away... but that could be the perception.
Yes, completely. If virtual is your only option, it’s neutral to positive. If you have the option of both, it’s not helpful for them but possibly helpful for you.