any body knows anything about surgey program in kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threecoins

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international medical student who will be doing a surgery elective in kansas university medical center(KUMC), i wonder if any body knows the pros and cons of applying for a a surgery program in KUMC?. I was really surprised to find out on scutwork that one of their surgery slots went unfilled last year, I thought kansas was a very competive program as it is based in such a big university and with a huge medical center ,do u think that i can match their easily considering that i got only 207 on step one? I mean is it a program just fit for my competetive standing as a foreigner and with 207 or is too bad and i would be "selling my self down" into a poor program, by the way all i care about in a program is the teaching quality and opportunities for research and good clinical and OR experience , please tell me what u think

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at KUMC last year for surgery residency and was impressed with their program. They are well trained and the facilities are excellent. I don't know why they didn't fill. I think since applications are down across the country a lot of good programs won't fill. Don't get me wrong, they aren't on the same level as Hopkins, Mass General, UT Southwestern, UCSF, etc, but they are still very good. The residents seemed happy and I liked Kansas City. Your USMLE scores are fine. I don't know how they feel about FMG's, but if you impress them on your rotation then you should have a good chance of getting in.

thank you very much for your feedback, it is such a relief to find someone who was actually there on the spot and to know that the program is good enough.yet, I have been wondering since you managed to mention some of the finest suregry programs in the country and you compared them to KUMC if you can specify some of the differences between these excellent ones and KUMC, there is one area I am concerned about more than benefits, working ours, scut work and that stuff , namely THE QUALITY OF TRAINING .I mean do you think residents at Hopkins get better surgical training than those in KUMC? and if so where does the diffrences lie exactly.I am better off with figures , so if we assume there is a scale for surgery residencies with 0 being the worst and 10 the best , how much would you give KUMC?