Any Canadian Optometrists that did optometry school in the States and stayed there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corleone123

Reaction score
I’ll am a Canadian and will be attending University if Houston.

Do practices/places/organizations hire new Canadian grads in the States? And if so, do they sponsor them after they’ve worked the one full year? How hard is it to get sponsored or find a place that will hire Canadian grads? Also what’re the chances for an optometrist to get a H1B visa?

I wish to practice optometry in the States for a while because the scope of practice is wide compared to Canada. I am looking into how to get sponsored but I’m just wondering if you were ever approached with a job offer or if someone was willing to sponsor you. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did though I started school in 1996. Here was my experience back then...

Optometrists are not eligible for the H1/B visa program. I do not know if that has changed but it was not eligible for that at the time. Even if they are, they are granted on a lottery basis so it's not a sure thing.

You would need to apply for a traditional "E" work visa which are also limited. You would also need a sponsor which is going to be a problem because most hiring doctors are not going to be interested in the time, expense and hassle involved in navigating that system. Also, even if you do obtain one of these visas, your limited to working for that company and that company alone.

Your best bet would be to get hired by one of the schools or colleges of optometry OR marry an American.