Any Canadian Path residents/students out there?

Started by hizo1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hizo1

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

Just wondering if there's anyone here who's looking to or already training in Canada. This forum is great, but there's not much on CaRMS applications for path or path residencies, or the job situation in Canada for that matter, which appears to be quite different than what it is down south.


anyhow, holla (eh)

hizo
 
Holla (eh) to you too! :laugh:

Deschutes used to be a regular here, and she went to med school in Canada and came to US for residency. You could shoot her a PM.

Best wishes,
beary
 
Process for getting into path is simple - do electives, get letters, apply. 🙂

I'm not sure what sort of information you are looking for. A good starting point would be the CaRMS website . Also your friendly neighbourhood pathology department - find it and start getting friendly with the residents, they'll point you.

(Residents and attendings would also be the people you'd want to talk to about the job situation. I keep somewhat close tabs on that climate and it seems quite welcoming depending on which part of the country you want to work in. Also there were at least two attendings at my med school-affiliated path dept who had been trained in the States.)

If you're thinking that this whole residency match thing is the most elusively bizarre phenomenon since black holes, you're absolutely right. This realization is true on both sides of the 49th parallel.

The term "CaRMS" usually refers to the Canehdien matching process for ALL residency specialties. On that website however, you can get information about the types of available pathology-related training programs (see list below - US equivalents in brackets), the institutions that offer them and their requirements.

Anatomical Pathology (AP)
General Pathology (AP/CP)
Laboratory Medicine (CP)
Medical Biochemistry
Medical Genetics
Medical Microbiology
Neuropathology (possibly soon to be phased out at the Royal College level?)

All of these residencies in Canada are 5 years long including the PGY-1 specialty-oriented rotating internship year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah hark back to the days when I was a regular 😉
I was going to say "I might post more now, since I'm (finally!) on surg path" - but I have to wonder if that is oxymoronic.

Damn my feet hurt!