1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Any CCNY Postbaccs?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by ktcloud, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ktcloud

Pre-Medical
    I just started at CCNY in the postbacc program this semester, but I really haven't met any other postbaccs in my classes yet. Are there any CCNY postbacc students out there? And if so, what classes are you taking? Are there any pre-med events going on that are worth going to?

2. sway367

Pre-Medical
    I started the postbacc last semester and am taking Developmental Bio and Developmental Neuro right now. I know there is a meeting for all pre-meds regarding applying this cycle coming up soon, but not sure on the date. Stop in to the premed office and introduce yourself to Belinda Smith. She's the head of pre-med advising and she will put you on the pre-med e-mail lists. Good luck this year, glad to see another CCNY postbacc on here.

3. Cornell08

Cornell08 PhillyGuy08
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    After applying in April and changing my preference from Hunter to CCNY, I finally received my acceptance as a Second Degree student at CCNY and I will be taking Orgo, Physics, and Bio at CCNY (am already taking gen Chem this summer at Hunter and will take the lab sometime before the end of next summer).

Are there any other CCNY post-bacc students on the board? I had some questions and wanted to know if anyone has taken classes up on 137th street.

Thanks,
    Brian

4. himawari

How do you mean you changed your preference? I submitted my CUNY app online listing only Hunter, and I want to add CCNY, but can't figure out how because they don't answer their phone. Please help!

5. palabradora

I will be starting as a 2nd degree transfer at CCNY in a few weeks. Any one else with experience as a post bacc there that can comment on the structure of the post bacc program?

6. QrtrLifeCrisis

2+ Year Member

#6 QrtrLifeCrisis, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  7. Moka11

5+ Year Member

Hey this thread has been dead for a while but i was wondering if any of you can give me advice. I just got accepted for Fall 2011. Classed all seem to have 0 seats available, any idea how to squeeze myself in?

8. Cornell08

Cornell08 PhillyGuy08
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey folks, glad to see some other people are doing the CCNY post-bacc. CCNY is a good place if you need to take some courses for a great price. I took chem last summer at Hunter and then I took Orgo, Physics, and Bio at CCNY full time in addition to volunteering. The professors are hit or miss, mostly miss as there were no real "great" professors (although my TAs were actually really awesome so they have great grad students in CUNY, i guess). I did meet a lot of great people at CCNY and developed a lot of friendships-- I think this bond was in part because of the nonsense that 2nd degree/post-bacc students had to go through to get into the classes they needed or just dealing with the CCNY/CUNY administration. Two of my friends ended up having to turn on the tears in order to get the stupid administrators to let them into the classes they needed (and rightfully deserved to be in). For instance, the CCNY registrar refused to consider the Gen Chem sequence that I had taken a few months prior at Hunter to be equivalent to CCNY's course because Hunter's total sequence was 9 credits and CCNYs was only 8. Thankfully I found a competent woman in the Division of Science who easily put me into the course I needed when a spot opened but I think dealing with the CCNY bureaucracy has taken off about a year of my life expectancy. On orientation day it took me an entire day to register for 2 classes.

So basically the administration is infuriating and the process if Kafkaesque. I was, however, able to finish Orgo, Physics, and Bio in the fall and the spring so it can be done, you just need to be persistent. CCNY is basically a means to an end- the class schedule is far superior to Hunter's where Bio 1 is only offered in the Fall, Bio 2 in the spring, etc. So if you get shut out of a class or drop a class or what have you, your academic plan is screwed. If you are having scheduling problems/can only take a class with an incompetent professor then be proactive and don't be afraid to E-Permit (i.e. take a course at another CUNY campus using the online E-permit system). Frankly I don't believe a post-bacc sequence should last any longer than a year if you're doing it full-time or 2 years if you're doing it part time. don't forget you'll likely need to take a gap year-- a 32-35 credit sequence shouldn't taken 3 years of your professional life away (if you include the gap year). plus, if you draw things out too long you'll be quite rusty come MCAT time. And forget Columbia, the cost of Columbia is 6-7X the price of CCNY. No exaggeration, look it up. Columbia does have linkages but it's tough to get them (lots of schools require mid 30s on the mcat and if you can get good grades and mid-30s at ccny/any public school you'll get into a decent med school). There's no need to be $50,000 in debt prior to med school when you can do all of you pre-reqs at CCNY for around $7,500.

To mklein, just keep checking/stalking the Esims website, spots will open up for classes, especially over the next week and a half before classes start. Just make sure you have the correct pre-requisites for the classes you want or their system prevent you from registering when they do appear.

Here are my impressions of the Professors I had.
    Bio-
    Rockwell (bio 102)- easy, stopped going to lecture, cared too much about ecology but tests were straightforward.
    Miller (bio 101)- young guy, very pleasant demeanor, very lenient grader..he teaches the saturday bio class which is a boon to your schedule if you have conflicts. overall i really liked him.

*I hear Gallagher isn't great.

Bio at CCNY was very easy (which is a far cry from Hunter form what I hear). You will need to supplement your learning prior to taking the MCAT as a lot of topics that are vital to the MCAT were addressed in a very cursory manner or not at all (rockwell skipped the immune system and endocrine system which is ludicrous if you ask me).

Physics
    Akkerman (phys 1)- Can come off as a gruff but he has a paternal, caring quality to him if you show you care. Decent teacher-- moves very quickly and spends lots of time deriving equations. Does not like to give As- exam averages were around 50% but he does curve, just doesn't like to give out As. In a class that started with 45 people about half dropped and maybe only 3-5 people got in the A-range..
    Makse (phys 2)- really cool guy, very easy grading structure, skipped a lot of important subjects though that i've had to teach to myself (such as capacitance, doppler effect, etc) for the MCAT

*as a note there are some really terrible physics professors in the department from what i've been told. you need to check out ratemyprofessor beforehand as a bad physics professor can totally ruin your semester.

Orgo- a disaster
    Balogh-Nair- More bark than bite but she was pretty miserable. if you don't have much else going on and can dedicate yourself to this class (like, study at least 2 hours/day) then you will do very well. new tests based on practice problems, workshop problems, in-class problems. don't concern yourself with book problems (good practice of course). you basically have to do her weekly workshop though which is pretty egotistical to me that it is an unwritten requirement to succeed. some people worked or had class conflicts so that wasn't very fair to them and many exam questions are directly from workshop quizzes so study them! workshop leaders are very helpful though...too bad balogh-nair was not. could barely understand her.
    Boson- actually a very good lecturer but totally overwhelmed with 3 lecture classes at once (why do they do that to this guy especially when other lecturers have one class?). very very difficult exams and he really infuriated me and several of my friends with his arrogant and unsympathetic attitude-- although i know some people who did very well in his class.
    Bu- orgo lab, she's really sweet, i really enjoyed orgo lab and it was nothing too onerous. lab reports were time consuming (not surprising). lab quizzes were straightforward.

*I hear Biscoe is pretty good for orgo.

hope this helps!