Any chance for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoshistr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a really low gpa of 2.8 for my undergrad which I did a major in Biology, so I am not sure where to go from here...
For one, I was told that my gpa is locked because I graduated and therefore the grade will appear as such on my transcript regardless if I attempt to take other undergraduate or graduate level courses.
Is there even a point for me to take the MCATs then apply to the carribean or try a post-bacc program or should I give up and try to do nursing at a RN program?
I really don't want to give up considering how I feel that my grades do not represent my ability to attain success at a medical school.
Any advice here will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a really low gpa of 2.8 for my undergrad which I did a major in Biology, so I am not sure where to go from here...
For one, I was told that my gpa is locked because I graduated and therefore the grade will appear as such on my transcript regardless if I attempt to take other undergraduate or graduate level courses.
Is there even a point for me to take the MCATs then apply to the carribean or try a post-bacc program or should I give up and try to do nursing at a RN program?
I really don't want to give up considering how I feel that my grades do not represent my ability to attain success at a medical school.

It will take some work on your part.. but the fact that you graduated doesn't matter considering AACOMAS has grade forgiveness. You can retake some of the class you got below a C in, and significantly improve your gpa.

Been there, done that. I graduate with a biology degree GPA 2.7. What you need to do is create your own post-bacc program. Take a full load of all the pre-req's and do really well to show you can handle the load. It does not have to be a formal program just a solid effort on your part. After that take the MCAT and apply to many programs as possible. Look at DO programs since they replace old grades. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
You say you can do it (academically) but you have not proved it.

The posters above have some great advice. It's true that you can't just hide old bad grades, but osteopathic schools have a grade-replacement policy that you can use a post-bacc for. If any of your low grades are in prereqs, make sure you rock the retakes. If you really want to go into medicine, this might be your best option (search the caribbean schools and you'll see why).
Aside from that, you really need to figure out what's going on with your study habits. You say that your grades don't reflect your ability to be successful at medical school, but...well, you don't have much to back you up on that one. Maybe you do understand the material, but have problems with test-taking, or with keeping up with the class? Whatever it is, fix it.